Dilemmas of a Williams Student: Schow or Sawyer?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Although not explicitly written in the handbook, there’s one question every Williams student has to face during their four years on campus, and that is, Schow or Sawyer?

It isn’t hard to wrap your head around the differences between the two main libraries here on campus, one is conducive to a great study environment and the other is significantly more aesthetically pleasing.

Students have various reasons that they prefer one library over the other. Some say they can’t stand the open space of Sawyer because they can’t concentrate with so many people socializing in the group study sections. Others say Schow looks like a prison and, considering the shortage of group study rooms, feels like one too.

Depending on what kind of student, or major, you are, I believe one of these libraries is more compatible for you. If this is true, committing to that study environment can lead to some major benefits when cramming for that biology exam or hashing out a ten page philosophy paper. Sometimes, people say they can happily work in both, but they’re missing out on the little secret that if you want to study more efficiently for particular subjects, the library makes the difference.

Speaking from personal experience of long hours in both Schow and Sawyer, here are some attributes that are characteristic of the study environment you would expect if you were working in Schow or in Sawyer. Take note of which descriptions apply to you the most, and take that into consideration the next time you’re scrambling to get that assignment submitted within the hour.

What are the benefits of studying in Schow?

• There are plenty of cubicles to stick your head in textbooks and do it without the anxiety of looking left and right to check out who’s coming in and out of the room.

• If you’re a science major, Schow’s location is prime real estate when traveling from classes in the morning since it’s conveniently in science quad.

• If you’re a breakfast or lunch person (aka everyone) you’d love to have access to Eco Café on the weekdays to grab a coffee in between classes or a quick bagged lunch before lab.

• The three story high walls have a cool indoor/outdoor exposed brick vibe to them (which is often mistaken for a prison yard vibe).

• MSRC is in the back of the first floor, so on weekdays from 8pm-12pm you can eat candy and struggle with friends!

• If you really need to buckle down and do some serious work, Schow is the place to get sh*t done.

What are the disadvantages of studying in Schow?

• Sometimes teams form group study sessions that quickly turn into full fledged hang out sessions that gets rowdy real fast because they think they can get away with being loud in a presumed sound proof room. Consequently, this will distract you from doing your own work and make you regret studying in Schow.

• There’s always the consistent sound of white noise coming from the vents, that could get on your nerves if you paid close attention to it, but it’s usually unnoticeable during the day.

What are the benefits of studying in Sawyer?

• When you’re feeling like the work is too much, you can admire the scenic mountainsides that the windows perfectly frame on every floor. Personally, I find nature very sobering in times of stress and materialized responsibilities. Observing our world famous trees can breathe life back into your work and be a great source of inspiration.

• Not the biggest secret, but the vending machines are BOMB. You can get hot coffee for $1.25 and a greater variety of snacks to choose from. Plus, there is an ice machine that makes your water that much more refreshing and can also wake you up when your third cup of coffee isn’t doing anything for you anymore. Undoubtedly the best vending machines on campus.

• There is a surplus of Mac computers, you never need to worry about the computers filling up.

• Paresky is right across the quad, so when you want a quick tea break, head to a meeting, or grab snack bar with friends you can leave your stuff in Sawyer and come back to find it there waiting for you.

• If you’re an extrovert and can multitask by people watching and being productive, then Sawyer is the place for you. The way the library is built is conducive for chatting and casually mingling with friends without getting a cold eye from someone.

What are the disadvantages of studying in Sawyer?

• On the flip side of the coin, Sawyer can be a rowdy place, always. There is a social section that you can choose not to sit in, but that’s where the most convenient place to sit and the view is the best.

• Sometimes you see so many people you know there that it can get distracting to concentrate. Also, you feel the need to look over your shoulder or at the staircase to see who’s coming and going, especially when it gets to obscene hours in the night and you feel a sense of solidarity between you and those who are still working away.

• During finals week, Sawyer becomes the hub of Williamstown and it’s almost impossible to find a table, let alone seat, to work at. Williams is just not ready to invest in chairs, unless they’re $10,000 marble blocks that is.

Nica is a Senior at Williams College majoring in Biology and taking pre-medical courses. She is a member of Ritmo Latino and GQ A cappella. Her passions include public health, reading, and yoga.