This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

I became an official college student on August 27th. I hopped on a plane, endured a painful string of flights and layovers, and officially left my home, family, and entire heart behind with a teary goodbye. I had been anticipating feeling like I’d lost a piece of my soul while on campus, and this past version of me was correct–I have been dreadfully homesick. 

And yet, I have found that walking from class to class and working on assignments is hard when you’re washed from head to toe with sadness, so I have compiled a list of a couple of outlets and activities that have made me feel like home maybe isn’t so far away. 

1. Stay Busy

No, don’t overwhelm yourself with school work or fill your plate with more than you can handle! Wake up sad? Sometimes, the sadness makes it hard to even think about doing schoolwork–so don’t. Go do your laundry. Wash your dishes. Clean your room. Make your bed. Read a book. Not only will you get so busy you’ll forget how sad you are, but it’ll also help your dorm (or space) feel more like yours

1. Bring Pieces of Home

Keep something in your dorm that reminds you of home. Whether it be a scent or decor or pictures, have them everywhere! Pieces could also be metaphorical such as activities you used to partake in at home. You used to do yoga at home? Do it now, include it in your morning routine. Used to watch movies every Friday night? Have a movie night with friends. 

1. Get Outside 

Sometimes, our feelings can get overwhelming. Luckily for you, we live on one of the prettiest college campuses in the US. Take a walk past Sawyer to Spring Street with your favorite music blasting. For people with more athletic capabilities, take a hike! Your dorm might make you feel more isolated and lonesome, so get out! The outdoors work wonders for finding peace. 

1. Self Care

With the Williams workload, I know it’s hard to try and make time for anything other than homework, so make certain to carve out time to focus on yourself. Drink tea, not coffee. Eat a meal, not a snack. Go to sleep early, wake up early instead! Take your vitamins. Take a study session break. Have a nightly routine! Drink your water–one cup right after waking up! These are all simple things but usually are the hardest to remember. 

1. Let Yourself Feel Homesick

As I mentioned before, sometimes our feelings can get overwhelming–and that’s okay! Let yourself feel them without trying to suppress them. Give yourself time for a good cry. You may feel silly, but don’t shame yourself for doing it. Remember that this feeling is completely normal, and believe it or not, many people share these sentiments. 

To conclude my list, I would like to sign off by saying that I am only a first-year that has barely gotten through half of her first semester–so maybe I am not the most wise on the subject. However, a primary source is always the most reliable, and speaking from personal experience, I wouldd say I am pretty reliable. I hope at least some of my list can be of aid, but if not, always remember there are also resources around campus to help you, including your friends. Don’t ever be afraid to reach out for help when you are feeling unwell. 

Hello! I am a current first-year at Williams College with interests varying from pharmaceuticals to cognitive psychology to creative writing and fiction!