camera event live settings 66134?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
camera event live settings 66134?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

90s & early 00s Korean Movie Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Williams chapter.

Following the recent success of Parasite, more attention has definitely been paid to Korean films. However, most of the focus is (naturally) on recently released movies; but there are so many good movies that were shot in the late 90s and early 00s that deserve more recognition. So in this article, I have compiled a list of old Korean movies that you should give a chance!

1. The Classic

The Classic (2003) is definitely my favorite 90s/early 00s romance film. This movie revolves around a college student, Ji-Hye (played by Son Yejin, an actress you might know from the recently aired drama Crash Landing on You) and her flashbacks of her mother, Joo-hee’s romance (her mother is also played by Son Yejin). 

I love this movie so much because I feel like it is the epitome of 90s Korean romance films. Romantic films back then were characterized by their slow development; an accidental touch of hands or a meeting of eyes would hold huge meaning in the movie. And more focus would be on the emotions and beauty that come from simply liking someone rather than what happens after they begin a relationship. The Classic portrays this in such a clear, tranquil way, so if you are ever tired of fast-paced romance in the media, The Classic is perfect.

1. Christmas in August

Christmas in August (1998) is another classic staple in Korea’s romance films. Da-rim (played by Shim Eunha) works as a parking agent and meets Jung-won (played by Han Suk-kyu) who owns a photo shop. Jung-won’s engagement was recently broken, and on top of that he is later diagnosed with a terminal disease. But they still start developing feelings for each other, and this movie portrays how they try, in their own ways, to cope.

What I love about this movie was how well it captures the actors’ attitudes towards death or goodbyes in such a human, realistic manner without putting in dramatic devices / turn of events. Not only is this a great romance film, but it’s also one that makes you think.  

3. Old Boy

Old Boy (2003) is one of the most famous neo-noir thrillers in the Korean cinematic universe. This movie starts with Oh Dae Su (Choi Min Sik) being imprisoned in a prison cell for 15 years without knowing why. After he is finally released, he experiences a strange series of events that seem to threaten his life at every chance. In the process, he falls in love with a young sushi chef, Mi-do (Kang Hye Jung), but his relationship with her, he soon discovers, is abnormal.

This is not a movie for you if you can’t handle violence or squeamishness. Not only are there a lot of physically violent scenes, but the notion behind, and the methods, of vengeance that happen in the movie are –in a psychological sense– twisted and disturbing. However, it is not arguable how well made it is; it has received 94% of approval from Rotten Tomatoes and 99% from Koreans. If you like noir films or thrillers that keep you in suspense, and most importantly, if you are not easily disgusted, this is your next movie to watch.

1. Memories of Murder

Memories of Murder (2003) is a very well known crime drama film based on an actual crime case — one of Korea’s first serial murders in history. The plot of the movie is mainly focused on the local detective Park Doo-man (played by Song Kang Ho) trying to find the serial killer and the killer slipping through his fingers, continuing to rape and murder women.

This movie is also very violent, but it is applauded in how well it builds suspense and how well the actors portray their complex emotions regarding the murders, and has always ranked high in must-watch Korean movies lists. Personally, I feel like this movie is not as psychologically disturbing as the Oldboy, although it is very disturbing in the physical sense, so consider which aspect you would handle better!

5. JSA  

JSA (Joint Security Area, 2000) is a renowned mystery thriller about the relationship between North and South Korea. Two North Korean soldiers are killed in the DMZ, and soon a South Korean sergeant Soo-hyeok (Lee Byung Hyun) confesses to the shootings, but his account of what happened is different from what the North Korean side tells. As investigation continues, it is discovered that there was actually a matter of friendship behind the shootings.

Although JSA is classified as a mystery thriller, I think it could also qualify as a touching drama, as it explores friendship built on an environment of natural hatred towards each other. So I would definitely recommend this to people who like action/mystery movies with a moving subplot.

I hope you enjoyed reading this article! I really recommend you try at least one from the list– you won’t regret it. :)