This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Attempting to be environmentally conscious while also being a student can be tricky. Even if you really want to be sustainable, the costs and time needed can really make it difficult. But that’s the thing with zero waste: You don’t have to change every aspect of your life. Instead, you can make small changes which gradually lead to a more sustainable lifestyle. Here are some beginner steps you can take to lessen your ecological footprint.

1. Stop reaching for single-use products!

I’ve started packing a fork and a reusable straw in my bag. That way, I can avoid using plastic cutlery. This doesn’t mean you need to stop altogether and never eat out using single-use plastic; it just means you need to be more conscientious of how much plastic you are using. Remember to ask yourself “do I really need this?” or “what can I use as an alternative?”

2. Buy second hand!

If you need something, always check a thrift store before you go to the mall. Usually they will have it for cheaper, and it probably won’t be covered in plastic. If you are looking to buy new clothes, please don’t buy polyester. Fast fashion clothing is typically 63% polyester. When you wash these items, microplastic fibers are washed off and sent into the ocean, where it is eaten by sea life.

3. DIY your fav products!

Making your own products is not only cheaper, but it also eliminates the need to cover everything in plastic packaging. You could DIY facemasks, toner, hair masks, almond milk, toothpaste… the list goes on!

4. Embrace your current possessions!

The whole idea of consumerism is to make you feel as though your possessions are no longer cool so that you buy the latest version. Next time you see a commercial for the latest iPhone or latest designer jeans, ask yourself if you really need it or if you are just being brainwashed into wanting it. If a clothing item rips or is otherwise unwearable, you can repurpose it into something new! T-shirts can be made into reusable tote bags, ripped clothes into jean patches, old jeans into a skirt. The possibilities are endless!

5. Use reusable bags whenever you can!

Lastly, I would like to stress the importance of using reusable bags when shopping. You can buy reusable mesh produce bags practically anywhere, and they last a long time. If this is not an option and you are given a single-use plastic bag, you can reuse that too! Grocery bags will typically last a few runs to the grocery store if you’re careful with them.

These simple adjustments will make an impact and get you on the right track for a sustainable lifestyle!

Hailey Inman

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Hailey Inman is a first year Psychology major who's minoring in french. She loves reading, writing and painting.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her