Your Younger Siblings are Actually Your Biggest Cheerleaders

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We are experiencing a world that embraces both individualism and the pursuit of individual success; a place where people are looking out for themselves. In a somewhat self-centered social world, it is important to recognize those who stand by you as your silent, or maybe sometimes sarcastic, loving supporters. Who is always around rooting for you? Your younger siblings, of course! Let me enlighten you on those little things they do as your biggest cheerleaders.

They say “I don’t care what you do”

Sure this sounds rough, but what it really translates to is: it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, as long as you’re happy. I find myself asking my younger brothers if my outfit looks nice or if I should or shouldn’t be doing something. The “I don’t care” and “it doesn’t matter” is their way of saying, “if you looked stupid I would have already told you,” and “I wouldn’t let you do it if I thought it was a bad idea.”

They’re concerned when you haven’t laughed

My brothers are all about the jokes. They’re often heard on all floors of the house laughing back and forth (very loudly when I’m studying…). It’s become pretty obvious that my younger brothers are very observant. Regularly, one of them will come flying into my room and tickle my feet if they decide I haven’t laughed enough that day. Younger siblings are always watching their older siblings go about their day. When it comes to your mood, if they aren’t the one who put you in a bad one, then they will aim to make you feel better.

They understand you

When your siblings are significantly younger than you, sometimes we forget that they are growing up and gaining more knowledge. When my youngest brother was four or five, I didn’t think twice about telling him what was going on because he didn’t understand what I was talking about. As he got older and we continued to have these conversations, it’s gotten to the point where I don’t have to hint at how I’m feeling, or explain why I’m feeling a certain way. Growing up alongside each other, siblings in good relationships grow to understand each other.

They help you realize who you are

Sure, everyone in your life has some influence on becoming the individual you are. Your siblings are the little whisper in your ear telling you, you did something stupid, you could have done better, and you have bad taste in romantic partners. This is their way of helping you realize your potential and what you deserve in life. Sure it seems like unsupportive nagging at times, but your siblings’ voices telling you that you can do better and you look like sh*t today, is just them playing their role in helping you to become the best version of yourself.

Bodyguards…need I say more?No one defends your honour better than your siblings (younger or older). When it comes to your younger siblings, they’re underestimated because of their age. This gives them the advantage to come out of the dark and be your biggest supporters and best defenders. The questions your younger siblings ask potential suitors are blunt, to the point, and sometimes inappropriate. They aren’t afraid to call someone out in your defense, and no one is allowed to roast you except for them, and that is because no one else has a right to.

So you see, your younger siblings may be a pain in the a**, annoyingly sarcastic, and always on your case, but it isn’t because they’re rooting for your failure, it’s because they want you to have absolute success.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar