body images 2017 09 14 Screen20Shot202017 09 1420at2011023720AMpng?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2017 09 14 Screen20Shot202017 09 1420at2011023720AMpng?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

This Year’s Colour Trends For Spring and Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

After over a year of sweatpants and hoodies, this coming spring and summer have some of the best upcoming fashion trends. Some colours have been more prominent than ever, and I’m here to tell you which ones to stock up on for the warmer seasons.

1. Pinks

From baby pink and pastels to magenta, pink in all shades are everywhere right now. This isn’t only appearing in tops and bathing suits but also pants, shoes and accessories! If you’re looking to amp up your fashion game and slowly bring in some colour, start with pink!

2. Brown

If you tend to lean more towards neutrals when it comes to clothing, this one is for you. We all know how popular nude shades have always been, but lately browns, specifically chocolate brown, have taken the fashion world by surprise. This colour looks beautiful on any skin tone and has been making an appearance across all brands in the past few months due to its versatility. Chocolate brown can easily be paired with other neutrals, such as cream, or with brighter colours, like the pinks mentioned above.

3. Yellow

Not your typical pastel yellow but bright buttercup yellow. This shade in the spring and summer will make your skin pop and overall make you seem (and hopefully feel) happier! It’s the colour of sunshine for a reason. This colour is mostly seen in dresses and tops, but it is becoming available in matching sets too. This bright tone can also help more fair skin tones appear more tanned!

4. Sage Green

This one shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone. Unless you’re living under a rock, you’ve probably noticed the sage green trend currently happening and aren’t mad about it! This colour is super versatile and easy to match with, and it is the perfect colour to ease into your wardrobe if you aren’t quite comfortable with brighter tones yet. Its muted look is gorgeous for spring and summer, and it will definitely be a trend that sticks around.

5. Orange

Now, this colour may seem controversial but give it a chance. Orange is slowly making its way into trendier pieces and brands, changing many people’s perspectives on the colour. If we’re being honest, it isn’t the most popular colour nor the most flattering, but some people can truly pull it off. I’ve seen orange appearing more in bathing suits this year, as well as tank tops and crop tops paired with a neutral bottom. I never thought I’d be one to follow suit with wearing orange but I might have to try it!

6. Cream

Cream has become much more popular this year and it’s one of my new favourite colours to wear. I’ve mostly seen cream coming through in pants ranging from jeans to professional work pants; this colour makes everyone look good. Bonus: it’s another super easy colour to pair brighter items with!

7. Sky Blue

This is one of the more universally flattering colours to wear and it always comes out in the spring and summer. It’s so easy to pair with and gives a dainty and sweet vibe to any outfit. Sky blue is definitely one of my personal favourites to wear in the summer once my skin gets a bit more colour.

Extra: Checkerboard Print

Although this isn’t a colour, I thought I’d include it anyways. This print has come and gone but is definitely back this year! However, it’s become much more popular in clothing and accessories rather than checkerboard Vans. I’ve been loving the checkered phone cases lately myself!

These are just a few of the fashion colour trends I’ve been seeing and loving for the upcoming warm seasons! No matter what colour or print you wear, as long as you feel good, you’ll look good.

XO

Olivia Egan

Wilfrid Laurier '23

Third year Psychology student at WLU
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!