This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

‘Tis the season for gift-giving, and what better gift than the gift of the written word? Whether you have holidays coming up, or you just want to celebrate the end of this incredibly exhausting year, December is an excellent time to treat yourself or ask your loved ones for some new books. This year, consider asking for new releases and support authors whose sales have been struggling during the pandemic.

I think I speak for all of us when I say we can use some escapism right about now, and maybe it’s just me, but adult fiction is too intimidating, so without further ado here are my recommendations for Young Adult Fantasy new releases you should consider asking for or treating yourself to this holiday season.

Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas

In a desperate attempt to be taken seriously as a Brujo in a family that refuses to accept his true gender, Yadriel accidentally summons a ghost who refuses to leave. Now Yadriel must help solve Julian’s murder and prove he is a true Brujo before the Day of the Dead.

Equal parts supernatural mystery and contemporary coming of age story, this book explores the ways family can impact who you are and the power of acceptance.

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn

Bree is a sixteen-year-old Black girl working to infiltrate a secret society in an attempt to learn about her mother’s death and unravel the truth about her own ancestry and secret powers lost in the hands of time and slavery.

A modern retelling of Arthurian legend set in the South, Legendborn deals with grief, racism and how history can shape who we are.

The Other Side of the Sky by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

A boy who falls from the sky and a living goddess destined to never feel human touch are drawn together across two different worlds. North and Nimh couldn’t be more different, but they are prophesied to end the world together. 

This vibrant and richly described novel blends sci-fi and fantasy, telling a beautiful story of human need and the role of faith, technology and destiny in changing worlds.

While these are my top three YA Fantasy new releases, this year has seen an incredible number of fantastic books released. During this holiday season, consider finding a new release that catches your fancy and add it to your wish list. If you can, support debut authors whose dreams of being published were waylaid by COVID-19, and shop local, ordering from indie bookstores that are struggling during this time. Support local businesses, wear a mask and have a happy and safe holiday season!

Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!