Women-Hosted Podcasts that are Heavy in my Listening Rotation Part 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Podcasts continue to be my go-to form of on-the-go entertainment by making daily walks, long car rides, cooking and house chores all the more enjoyable. While Emma Chamberlain’s Anything Goes, Ologies with Alie Ward, along with True Crime with Kendall Rae podcasts still remain some of my favourites, I have discovered three more amazing podcasts (shared in no particular order) that have easily become some of my most-loved. Better yet, just like part one, each podcast is hosted by engaging, talented and wonderful women.

1. Two Hot Takes by Morgan Absher.

Often joined by her two friends Alejandra and Lauren (two more wonderful women) or an array of other friends, family members and guest stars, each episode features Morgan reading a series of stories from viewer write-ins or threads from Reddit. Whether they be about relationship drama, wedding disasters, paranormal experiences or dangerous encounters, each story is a wild ride that Morgan and her co-hosts react to and discuss in detail, providing their thoughts, opinions and ‘hot takes.’ Morgan’s laid-back, easy-going approach makes you feel comfortable and welcomed as though you were hanging out with friends and her witty humour and passion allow you to become invested in every story she shares.

2. Killer Psyche by Candice DeLong.

When listening to true crime stories, hearing that individuals are capable of committing such horrible, heinous crimes often leads to the large, over-arching question: why did they do it? Why did they perpetrate such an awful act? Candice DeLong, a former FBI agent and criminal profiler, uses her 20 years of experience and expertise to try and answer exactly that. Including the Unabomber, the Barbie and Ken Killers and the DC Sniper, Candice delves into many infamous cases — some of which she worked on herself. Candice provides a well-researched, insightful and knowledgeable perspective to each of the cases she covers, making for educational true crime content within the realm of criminal psychology.

3. Something Was Wrong by Tiffany Reese.

Every week, Tiffany interviews survivors who recount pivotal life events, abusive relationships and toxic friendships, walking listeners through the exact moment they realized something was wrong. These individuals are given an opportunity to share their stories, outlining their trauma, journey and recovery. Tiffany’s tender, the empathic approach makes for a deeply impactful podcast, as she and the interviewees are able to connect with the audience while keeping anyone who listens engaged and highly entertained.

Although I couldn’t recommend these podcasts enough, note that these podcasts are intended for mature audiences, often including sensitive topics — especially Killer Psyche and Something Was Wrong. While there are specific trigger warnings included before each episode, please be advised!

While these are only some of the many amazing podcasts hosted by women, these are more of my favourites that are heavy in my listening rotation. The next time you’re looking for a podcast to indulge in, I’m confident you’ll enjoy some of my top picks at the moment. Happy listening!

Avery Carpino

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Avery is a fourth-year Communications Studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She enjoys working out, reading and watching TV shows — The Walking Dead and Suits are shows she always revisits. She also loves spending time with her friends and family. Avery loves being a writer for Laurier’s Her Campus chapter, as writing is her main creative outlet.