Why Your Boyfriend Shouldn’t Be The Peanut Butter to Your Jelly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Over the last couple of years, I have continually heard girls refer to their boyfriends as their “other half.”

As cute and loving as that sounds, I think that we all need to have a reality check and realize that your significant other does not, in fact, complete you. Girl, you are a fine individual and your boyfriend only adds to that!

Basically our entire lives we are groomed to believe that we have to find “our person” or “our soul mate” in order to be a complete person in terms of love and relationships. Well, news flash… WRONG.

We have to start teaching girls that they are already whole themselves and that they are strong and independent. I won’t sit here and say that “they ain’t need no man” because we all know that the company is nice, but girls, we have to realize that we need to be a whole person before we add anyone else into the mix.

If you are continually looking for someone to complete you, you will never truly be happy with yourself. Relationships are about give and take, and if you are not confident in yourself, how are you going to be able to give yourself to someone else? You have to learn that there might be times that there isn’t someone to complete you, but that you need to be happy and make do with what you are given. Wishing for someone to swoop in and change everything is never healthy.

Independence. Yes, you heard me. You can 110% be an independent person WHILE being in a committed relationship. Just another reason why you need to be confident in yourself and confident in your significant other. Your bf wants to dedicate “Saturdays for the boys”? That’s cool. You know that you don’t need him for everything you do and are able to do things without him, because you are, in fact, a whole and not some half waiting for the other.

Self-happiness is also super important! You cannot depend on your relationship as your only source of bliss. Do things that make you happy. Do things with your boyfriend. Do things without him. Make sure that your entire world is not centered around that one person.

Creating a world where your boyfriend is the sole center is something that you will eventually regret in the grand scheme of things. Just because you have met someone that makes you happy and you want to dedicate your time to, doesn’t mean that you should forget about all the other people that were in your life previously. Make time to see your friends, spend time with your family, or continue hobbies that you love. Don’t make him the center of your universe, include him in your universe.

Emma Grace

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.