This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I’m sure if you’re anyone besides an English major, you looked at the title and thought this article wasn’t meant for you. Who even reads poetry anymore anyway, let alone writes it? I know it seems silly, but there are many reasons why poetry might be worth a try.

First of all, if you aren’t a huge reader, poetry is great for you. Not only are most poems short and sweet, but they don’t use more words than absolutely necessary. This makes the poem short and to the point, which helps a lot of non-readers still feel engaged with the text. I’m not saying to try to make a Shakespearian sonnet or copy one of Wordsworth’s poems, just experiment a little. Start off with a subject you want to write about and go from there. For example, you could start with the subject of rain or clouds and begin to write about moods or feelings that they evoke within you. You will eventually form a poem and you’ve managed to be in touch with your creative side. Good job!

Poetry’s a great outlet for your emotional side. If you hate when other people see you cry or just want to be alone with your emotions, poetry is a great way to get that out without sounding sappy. Grab a blank page and a pen and let your mind wander through your thoughts and try to find what emotion you feel the most of. Write how that makes you feel and what’s making you feel that way. Sometimes it will sound like a rant, other times it could sound poetic. Just give it a try and you might want to thank me later.

Not every subject gives you the ability to be creative. If you crave some creativity in your life, take five minutes and write a poem. The best part about poetry is the fact that it can be structureless. With so many different types of poems like free verse, ekphrastic, sonnet and so many more, anything counts as a poem. Creativity with poetry is truly endless and it takes the frustration and structure out of traditional writing for a little while. If you want a challenge in your poetry, try to study the different types and write one of each.

The biggest mistake most people make when it comes to poetry is trying too hard and getting frustrated at themselves when it doesn’t sound the way they wanted it to. When starting out with poetry, it won’t be pretty right away. It takes practice to get where you want to be with words, especially if it’s not something you study on the daily. So, relax, take a deep breath and don’t focus on it too much. If it makes sense to you and only you, that’s totally fine. However you choose to write and express yourself doesn’t need an explanation to anyone else.

Poetry isn’t for everyone, just like writing in general isn’t for everyone. But if you’ve thought about exploring your more literate side, this is the easiest way to incorporate it into your life. Mistakes in poetry don’t exist, and as long as you’re happy with the outcome, don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Bailey McIntyre

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bailey is in her third year of English studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. From a small town, she escaped when she could by writing whenever possible, as well as reading all things Sci-fi and Romance. She loves Snowboarding, Baking and watching early 2000s movies with hot chocolate. Bailey has a passion for all things writing related and is also the Arts and Life Section editor for The Cord Newspaper at Laurier. Wishing to pursue editing and publishing post grad, writing is her main creative outlet.