burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Should be Supporting Thrift on Kent (And a Way That You Can)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The holiday season is fast approaching and with it comes a call to do good, help your fellow man and spread kindness and world peace. But as a university student, possibly living in a new city you’ve never been in before and definitely swamped with schoolwork, it can be hard to know where to do good work and how.

(That’s Phoebe spreading the joy, as we all should do.)

While working on a school project that is pushing me to do good I discovered Thrift on Kent, a thrift store here in Waterloo run by the Mennonite Central Committee whose proceeds go towards relief both locally and around the world.

I got the chance to talk with Leah Cober, the Volunteer Engagement Manager at Thrift on Kent, who was willing to answer some questions for me, and give me a bit of information about this organization and why we as Laurier students should support it.

Q: Could you tell our readers a bit about your organization?

A: Thrift on Kent is part of a network of Mennonite Central Committee Thrift Stores (there are 6 MCC Thrift Stores in Ontario and 1 repurpose Centre).

We opened our doors in October 2013, combining two smaller thrift stores into one. We have roughly 330 volunteers, and strive to be a competitive thrift store, offering both affordable items for everyone as well as unique and vintage items for the treasure hunter.

Our proceeds support the work of Mennonite Central Committee in relief, development and peace. We have both local and international programs, and work in 57 countries with over 500 partners. Our local programs include Material Resources, Refugee Sponsorship, Walking with People in Poverty, Indigenous Neighbours, Restorative Justice and Low German Programing.

Q: What are some causes Thrift on Kent supports here in Waterloo?

A: Thrift on Kent supports many local agencies here in KW: we partner with House of Friendship, Anselma House, Marelack Place, YMCA and Ray of Hope, and issue gift cards to these agencies so that their participants can shop in our store.

We have also reached out to several refugee agencies to welcome newcomers and provide them an opportunity to volunteer.

We partner with WRDSB to give high school students co-op opportunities, and as well as Wilfrid Laurier University and their Community Service Learning Course. We also work with John Howard Society in giving community service hours to their clients.

As a thrift store, we also have an environmental impact here in Waterloo. By thrifting we divert thousands of items from landfills every day. We also promote and contribute to upcycling and DIY projects, such as fire starters and handmade t-shirt bags, and allow items to be repurposed rather than being thrown away.

Q: And what are some causes Thrift on Kent supports abroad?

A: As mentioned above, Thrift on Kent supports the work of Mennonite Central Committee, and have several projects we are engaged in worldwide. I have attached the 2018/2019 Annual Report to give a detailed outline of the many projects MCC supports.

(After looking through the report, I (Meghan, the writer) have found numerous examples of their projects abroad, including: responding to disaster in Mozambique and Malawi, hunger in the Democratic Republic of Congo, and displacement in Ukraine; providing educational care to Roma children in Serbia and increased access to schools for children in India; teaching animal food production in Palestine and Israel; building wells in Nicaragua; and providing care for mothers and infants in Kenya. This is just a small sample of the global initiatives they have undertaken.)

Q: Could you suggest some ways we at Laurier could support Thrift on Kent and the MCC?

A: The biggest support is spreading the news of Thrift on Kent. Bringing people out to shop and posting pictures of your thrift find with the hashtag #thriftonkent are great ways to let people know that we exist.

You can also volunteer with us. Consider gathering a group to volunteer or experience behind the scenes at Thrift on Kent (This could be as simple as coming for a tour).

Of course you can always donate gently used items, and stop by at the Thrift on Kent booth at the Wilfrid Laurier Volunteer fair. Finally, you can reach out to me (Leah) directly when you stop by the store.

So, there you have it. Thrift on Kent is an awesome store where you can find quality products (perhaps Christmas gifts?), while also supporting our community as well as those in need around the world. This holiday season, consider supporting Thrift on Kent in one of the ways listed above, and help MCC spread peace and hope to the world.

If you are interested in donating new or gently used clothes to Thrift on Kent, consider filling out the attached form and participating in the 2019 Winter Clothing Drive. On Saturday, November 30th between 9am and 3pm, I will personally be coming around collecting donations which will be given to the thrift store.
Meghan Mazzaferro

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Meghan is an English and Film Studies major who has dreamed of being a writer all her life. When she's not writing essays and watching films for class, she loves to read YA novels and rewatch her favourite TV shows for the 100th time. Proud plant mama of 24 green beauties, and willing to adopt all the dogs.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her