This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

BookTok is the go-to spot for modern readers to find fun, thrilling and captivating books to read – at least, that’s the expectation. While I have been introduced to some enthralling new novels through TikTok, I’ve also had the misfortune of reading some severe misses. I’ve also been privy to some serious slander of classic literature, which, in most cases, is just not true. This could just be a matter of taste, but the issue lies within the marketing of reading as “only for fun” and a current rise in anti-intellectualism.

According to Dictionary.com, anti-intellectualism is the “opposition to or hostility toward intellectuals and the modern academic, artistic, social, religious and other theories associated with them.” Although BookTok’s general shift away from classic literature does not seem intense, it poses many problems for readers today. Don’t get me wrong, reading is, and absolutely should be, a fun hobby! But the issue arises when people refuse to add any critical thought behind what they are reading. Does critical thinking mean that I need to make a point-form analysis of every metaphor I see in a book? No, of course not! Critical thinking can be as simple as considering whether the author is truly a good writer or why I enjoy the novel that I’m reading.

BookTok, like the rest of TikTok, makes it easy for people to consume tons of information within seconds. In contrast, books are not meant to be enjoyed in a matter of seconds. BookTok uses tropes like fake dating or academic rivalry to draw people in, which is an excellent hook for readers to find what they enjoy. The problem is when the book is turned into a trope, and it becomes the only thing readers care about. Sometimes these tropes can even be misleading, like with The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. This book is painted as an “enemies to lovers” story. So, naturally, audiences expect a romance story and are disappointed when the trope turns out to be a romantic subplot. What’s worse is that this blocks readers from enjoying the intense writing, the attention to faerie folklore in the novel and the careful plotting and political cunning that the characters must use to survive in this world. When a book becomes centred around one trope it becomes hard to recognize all of its other enthralling qualities.

So, where do classics fit into this narrative? Often, classics do not feature the common tropes of today’s literature. Or, as mentioned above, they are viewed as mundane and pretentious, so modern readers refuse to give them a chance, I’ll be the first to admit that I used to believe this too. I didn’t want to read a book by some self-obsessed author from decades ago. But as I started to discover classic literature through school, I realized that the books were captivating, original and relevant to the modern day (even though many authors were self-obsessed). Typically, classics are also easier to analyze, even if the analysis only consists of finding an overarching theme. I know that the author has an overarching message to give readers, so when I read classic literature, I try to find every little clue to solve the mystery. Some classics are certainly difficult reads, so I’ve decided to compile a list of some easier classics that are designed for beginners to enjoy.

1. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This classic novel is a story that many are already familiar with. It is one of the first gothic monster novels and one of the most famous novels written by a woman. It explores the conventions of a typical horror novel that may seem common now but were not at the time, all while giving readers an insight into the meaning of humanity. When reading this novel, just remember that Frankenstein wasn’t the monster… or was he?

2. 1984 by George Orwell

This novel is a must-read for anyone who has not read it yet. This story follows Winston, a man in a world ruled by INGSOC and Big Brother. This story will take readers back to their middle-school obsession with dystopian novels like The Hunger Games. This book is easy to read, but it will give readers an existential crisis. Even though it was written in 1948, the book’s relevance to today’s political and social systems is eerily accurate.

3. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

This novel is for coming-of-age novel lovers. It details the lives of the March sisters during the American Civil War. These sisters are strong-willed and determined to achieve their dreams, whatever they may be, as they enter adulthood. This is a novel that is told through its cast of characters, uses easy language and truly touches audiences’ hearts as they witness the sisters finally face adulthood.

4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This classic is one of my personal favourites. Set in 1920s America, this novel follows Nick Carraway and his elusive rich neighbour, Gatsby, who tries desperately to reunite with his long-lost love, Daisy. However, this novel is so much more than a love story. It follows the promise (or disappointment) of the American Dream, greed and wealth, betrayal and loss. It’s also accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack to read, courtesy of Baz Luhrmann’s 2013 film adaptation of the story.

5. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

This classic is Oscar Wilde’s only novel and has a philosophical take to it (a.k.a. it is another one that is bound to give people a premature quarter-life crisis). Dorian Gray is a beautiful, self-centred young man who wishes to remain eternally youthful, but his vanity and greed are exposed by a creepy-looking self-portrait he has on hand. This is a novel with heart and has a surprisingly likeable, albeit morally questionable, set of characters to welcome readers into its world.

Honorable Mention: Macbeth by William Shakespeare

I don’t recommend Shakespeare to anyone just getting familiar with the classics, but it is one of my favourite tales, and I couldn’t resist giving it a mention. Macbeth is visited by some witches with a prophecy – he will be the next King of Scotland. He and his Lady wife do everything they can to secure the throne, but it may cost them their humanity. Despite being a play from the 17th century, it is scarily relevant to the modern world. It explores the consequences of gender roles, the detrimental nature of mental illness and the debate between fate and free will. Despite its flaws, it is one of the most engaging and enthralling of Shakespeare’s works.

All in all, reading should be fun, but it should not stop readers from thinking about why they are reading what they do. Once I began exploring classic literature, it helped me apply my critical thinking skills to contemporary novels, my schoolwork and daily life. The five books I have listed above helped me start my foray into the world of classic novels, which is a chapter of my life that I have no intention of closing anytime soon!

References

1. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/anti-intellectualism

Bhavya Jagdev

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bhavya is a third-year BBA student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She loves to read (her favourite genres are fantasy and mystery) and spend a little too much money at Starbucks. She also enjoys travelling, spending time with her friends and family and (of course) writing.