Career > Her20s

Why the Lucky Girl Syndrome is the Best TikTok Trend Out There

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Amidst scrolling on your TikTok page, you’ve probably come across something called the lucky girl syndrome. Whether you scrolled past it or became enticed by it and continued to watch the video, this trend has become extremely popular, especially within the new year. People are extremely focused on their New Year’s resolutions and with their goals in mind, people often have a better mindset going into January. Therefore, the lucky girl syndrome trend came at the right time and has been significant in impacting people’s mindsets.

This trend began with a TikTok video made by two girls with the username (@skzzolno). They sat in their car eating ramen noodles and explained how in situations they would always say “I am so lucky” and “Everything good just happens to me.” When saying this, they then began to have good things begin to happen to them and their lives improved. This video went viral, getting millions of views and people began using this method of stating they’re lucky and that good things happen to them.

With this, people have created follow-up videos showing that this method has increasingly improved both their lives and their mindsets towards things. People began to see good things happen to them which in turn improved their mood. This is an example of a positive social media trend, as there are no negative side effects to simply stating you’re lucky and believing good things can happen to you. But why does this work?

This trend of the lucky girl syndrome is a type of manifestation called the law of assumption. Many people have knowledge of manifestation and the law of attraction, which is attracting good things into your life by believing they can happen, sending out positive energy and then receiving the things you wish for. But the law of assumption is a way of delusional thinking, assuming that nothing is impossible and good things just happen to you. When you believe that anything can happen to you, nothing gets in the way of it happening. This goes well with the lucky girl syndrome, as you’re assuming that since you’re such a lucky person and good things happen to you, they simply will.

The power of the mind is something people doubt and with negative thoughts come negative actions. Subsequently, a positive mindset and continuous belief that only good things happen to you then positive things will become of that. Speaking things into existence is a real method of those who actually end up receiving what they want and therefore believing you’re so lucky that good things happen to you, they eventually will.

This trend is one everyone can take something from for the new year. Going into 2023 with the mindset that good things will happen and continue believing that will turn those thoughts into words, and then into action toward those goals made at the beginning of the year. Mindset is one of the strongest things, and the lucky girl syndrome is something to adapt your mind to in order to see how good your life can get.

Kaileigh Klein

Wilfrid Laurier '25

My name is Kaileigh & I am a communication studies student at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. I am the Vice President of Writing for our Her Campus chapter & love everything there is about writing. My career goals range from journalism to marketing, with interests in all creative fields as I love reading, writing and content creating. I love reality TV & am a huge gym rat, as the gym is my favourite place to be. I am also quite obsessed with Taylor Swift & true crime podcasts.