Why Switching to an Unconventional Major was the Best Decision I Ever Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When it was time to apply for university during my final year of high school, I spent a lot of time thinking about what degree would get me a stable job, and not a lot of time thinking about what I really wanted to do. While I was thinking about university applications, I learned about something called art therapy, a practice in which art is used to help treat certain mental health issues, and thought I had found my calling. I loved art, and I thought being a therapist would provide me with a stable career, so I applied to Laurier’s Psychology program. I also applied to the University of Windsor’s Creative Writing Program and was accepted to both, but ultimately the idea of a decent career won out and I decided to come to Laurier for a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. 

When I started registering for my first-year courses, I enrolled on the mandatory PS101 and PS102, but aside from that, was fairly free to take courses from other disciplines. Partway through second semester, I realized psychology was definitely not for me and started thinking about switching majors. English had always been my best subject, so despite being hesitant because I was unsure what career path an English degree could possibly put me on, I decided to start the process of switching majors when my first year Medieval Studies professor said something that probably changed my life. I was walking to class one day, about a week after the midterm, when the professor called my name from across the hall and said she wanted to talk to me. My first thought was something along the lines of oh my god I failed the midterm or messed something up horribly and she’s going to yell at me. In fact, she congratulated me on the high mark I received on the midterm and encouraged me to switch into the Medieval Studies program. By the end of the semester, I came to realize that her first year Medieval Studies class was the only one I consistently went to and truly enjoyed in the midst of some serious mental health issues. At the end of first year, I officially made the switch from BA Psychology to a double major in English and Medieval Studies.

At the time, I had no idea what kind of job my degree would get me, but I settled in and focused on enjoying the unique variety of classes I was able to take. I’ve had the opportunity to study Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, medievalism in popular culture, and even historical fiction. My medieval studies classes forced me to think way outside the box and be extremely resourceful and creative in the vast majority of my assignments. That creativity pushed me to finally do what I love, and I’m now in the process of applying for a Masters of Creative Writing at universities in Scotland. Switching to Medieval Studies will always be one of the best decisions I have ever made. 

Alyssa Blair

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.