Why Pumpkin Spice is the Best Seasonal Flavour

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s that time of year again where the leaves start changing colour and the line for Starbucks in the Concourse goes down the hallway.

That can only mean one thing.

Pumpkin spice foods and drinks are back in season.

Like many, I partake in the mass buying of anything that is pumpkin spice related. Candles? Sure. Pie? Absolutely. Scones? A must have.

I understand that this may be seen as “basic”, however, I also believe that even the most gatekeep-y people when it comes to seasonal flavours will have at least one pumpkin spice item that they like. With the amount of pumpkin spice related items available this time of year, it’s pretty much impossible not to.

While I am also a fan of Christmas-y flavours (peppermint especially), I find that they often are too sweet. With pumpkin spice, however, you are always able to find an option that fits your level of sweetness preference.

For me, a PSL is too sweet. In addition, the fact that the drink is orange puts me off. Why? I’m not sure, but I’d rather not buy one.

However, I have discovered this season that I am a HUGE fan of pumpkin spice scones – the ones from Cobs Bread in particular. Furthermore, buying a pumpkin spice scone from this bakery gives you options. If you have a sweet tooth, you can get your scone with icing on it. If you don’t have a sweet tooth, you can purchase the scone with no icing (my personal order).

I am also aware (thanks to friends of mine) that Tim Hortons features pumpkin spice foods and beverages. If you are a fan of Ice Capps, you can currently purchase a pumpkin spice one. If you like Timbits, you can try their new pumpkin spice Timbit offering.

As I said, there’s something for everyone.

In my opinion, you don’t see the level of adaptability with Christmas flavours that you do with pumpkin spice. Peppermint is great, but it is often too strong and I’ve met many people who don’t like the flavour whatsoever. Gingerbread, on the other hand, is great but I don’t usually see many places where you can buy food or beverages with the flavour.

Thus, in my opinion, pumpkin spice holds the coveted A+ tier spot. There is nothing that will get you more in the fall/autumnal mood than picking up a pumpkin spice food or beverage.

Basic? Maybe. But the fall season is way too short to go around pretending that you don’t like anything related to pumpkin spice.

So, if you’ve waited until now to partake in enjoying this seasonal flavour – go out today! It won’t be out much longer and the fear of being called basic isn’t worth avoiding. You do you and enjoy the best part about fall while you are at it.

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.