This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

We are currently living in a time where face-to-face interactions are forbidden. Yet, we are also lucky enough to live in a day and age where it is easy to connect with others, even if you’re in isolation alone. I myself am doing isolation alone, which can be tough. This is why I think it’s important to make sure you do your best to connect with others. We’re human, and we need human interaction, even if that is hard to come by these days.

We’re currently all in the same situation of being stuck at home. This is hard for most people, but we’re in it together. Some days may be harder than others and that’s why we need to lean on each other. Talking about how everything is making you feel can help you get through it. Besides, you won’t be the only one feeling that way. By talking about it, you may feel better.

We’re all missing our friends right now, but by keeping in touch you miss them a little less. It’s almost like they are there with you in person depending on how often you talk to them, which brings you closer and makes you feel less lonely.

As I said before, I am in isolation alone. I still go to work (I work at a grocery store), so I do get a bit of human interaction. That said, I think it is more important to interact with my friends and family, so every Friday my friends and I always meet up in video calls to spend time together. My cousins and I also have a group chat where we check in with each other every once in a while. These may be small interactions, but they are something to look forward! They also add more schedule to my life as well as add something fun to my day.

There may be days where you don’t really feel like being that social, and that’s okay! Just keep in mind you should still check in with others, even if it is just one text message. As humans we need to other humans to live, it’s a fact of life. Even though we can’t see each other, it’s important to still be in each other’s lives and keep in touch.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons