jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why it’s Better to Give Than to Receive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

It’s that time of year again where Christmas is in the air, and if you celebrate Christmas, that means gift-giving.

Everyone loves getting gifts, hence why Christmas is such a popular time of year. Even if you don’t celebrate, it’s like having another birthday. Gifts make everyone feel good but what makes you feel better is when you give gifts to others. Yes, spending your own money and giving what you buy to someone else. I know what you’re thinking, why would that possibly be better than receiving a gift for yourself? Here’s why:

When you give to someone else it makes them feel good. That’s the whole point of gift-giving. It shows your appreciation for that person and that you truly care for them. It’s an easy way to brighten up someone’s day. Plus, it builds the relationship between you and that person. Once you give a gift to someone, no matter how small, you know that they are an important person to you.

The type of gift you give them also matters. If you get someone the perfect gift that matches who they are, it makes the gift ten times better. Now is the time to take notes if someone is talking about a certain item or is really into a show or something. The better the gift is suited for someone, the more meaningful it becomes. Even if it’s something small and homemade. A gift is a gift and it’s the meaning that counts! Giving is also contagious; it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Once you give, it will encourage others to do so as well! You can think of it like paying it forward. Most people look at gift-giving as giving to friends and family but there are other ways you can give as well, like donating money or old clothing. Giving isn’t always about buying something new to give to someone. Even if it is, it still makes others want to give and spread that giving feeling. In return, all of this will make you feel good inside which is a little selfish to think about, but it’s true. The way it feels to give a gift is almost better than how you feel receiving gifts yourself. I mean, what’s better than giving someone a gift and seeing their face light up? The happiness that you give them is the true gift.

Remember this year that it is great to get gifts, but it is even better to give.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.