This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Studio Ghibli movies have this quality to them that feels so nostalgic and magical, as if you’re being transported into the same world that those characters are living in. They have a way of making you feel at peace and connected with everything around you. 

Romanticizing Life 

I think the reason why Studio Ghibli movies have had such an impact in my life is because they romanticize the little things in life that can feel rather mundane while you’re living them, becoming filled with meaning as you’re watching them play out on-screen. Simple things like walking to school, cooking, sharing a meal, or waiting for the bus in the rain with your best friend become wonderful moments to cherish. Hayao Miyazaki says that he often gains inspiration from everyday life. Romanticizing everyday life makes it so much more enjoyable and lets you embrace beautiful moments and friendships in a new way. 

The Romance 

Hayao Miyazaki says that his goal is to portray a relationship where two individuals mutually inspire each other to live. Often, we see a romance ensue only because it’s expected when a boy and a girl appear in the same film, but Miyazaki writes it so they support one another in finding happiness, making the romance so much more meaningful. In “Whisper of the Heart,” the main character Shizuki, falls in love with Seiji, who by sharing his aspirations with her, inspires Shizuki to pursue her dreams of becoming a writer. He helps her realize what she’s truly passionate about, which allows her to find meaning in life. This element is something that I’ve always loved in these films- not just a cheesy romantic connection, but two people who are genuinely in love with each other and wish the best for each other. 

Peaceful Scenes 

There’s a famous quote by Debussy that says, “Music is the silence in between the notes.” Often when I’m listening to music and it stops or pauses, that’s when I’m truly able to take in the beauty of it. This is something that can easily be translated into film, which Hayao Miyazaki executes exquisitely. There are lots of scenes where nothing really happens, scenes that don’t necessarily move the plot forward, but rather show the characters simply living their lives which curates peaceful feeling of emptiness. There’s a scene in “Spirited Away” where Chihiro and No-Face are sitting on the train together, watching the scenery go by while the spirits leave the train one by one, so much yet so little happening at the same time. For instance, on-screen you see two friends taking the train together, however, there is so much meaning that can be interpreted from this Over the course of the film, Chihiro learns and grows so much, and this scene subtly suggests her leaving something behind and transitioning into the unknown. It doesn’t feel like you’re just watching a movie, it feels like you become a part of their journey. 

Studio Ghibli films have always reminded me how beautiful life can be and always leave me feeling happier than I was before. “Even amidst the hatred and carnage, life is still worth living. It is possible for wonderful encounters and beautiful things to exist.” -Hayao Miyazaki 

Lisa

Wilfrid Laurier '24