This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Colouring has always been known to be an activity for children, yet that isn’t true anymore. Many people of all ages now colour. Maybe it’s something you should give a try as well.

When people think of relaxing, what comes to mind are face masks, bubble baths and a good show to binge on Netflix. Yet, colouring can also be a tool for relaxing. At first, I didn’t believe this at all. I mean, it has to be pretty tedious to colour in every single blank spot. Yet once I actually tried it, it was pretty relaxing to just pick out the colours I wanted to use and use them where I wanted. It has also been proven that colouring can relieve stress!

You can use it to just relax and forget about everything or to help boast some creative flows, as colouring is also a creative tool that we can use to express ourselves. There are two kinds of people; the ones who want to colour the bananas yellow and the others who want to colour them pink. I personally fall under the yellow category. If you like drawing but have nothing in mind to draw you can use colouring as a tool for inspiration. Maybe you want to try to be more creative? Well, I’d say colouring is a good start.

If you were interested in getting yourself a colouring book there are many to choose from. We live in a day and age where there is such a thing as adult colouring books. Some of them just have more complex designs. Others are from pop culture. Harry Potter, for example, has their own line of colouring books. If there is a show or series you like, you could probably find a colouring book for it. Fan of memes? There is a colouring book that is filled with some of the best memes from the internet. There is even a colouring book that is just filled with swear words. Or maybe you do still want to use a Dora the Explorer colouring book. The point is that there is a colouring book for everyone!

If you haven’t coloured any time in your adult life, it is something I recommend you check out. You can start small by printing out a colouring sheet online. If it is something you like you can upgrade to a colouring book. Who knows, maybe you will stumble upon a new hobby.

Megan Cruz

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Megan Cruz is a 4th-year film studies student at WLU. She already has a diploma from Vancouver film school for writing for Games, Television, and film. When she isn't writing she can be found in a pillow fort watching cartoons  
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her