This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I am lucky enough to be an aunt to two adorable little blondies, Lena and Louise, and the first time I held both of them they captured my heart! Here’s just a few reasons that I love being Aunt Lace.

You get to shop for baby clothes

If you’re anything like me, you love to shop. Being an aunt means you get to shop for your little nieces or nephews and spend money without guilt because it’s not for you! I die over all of the insanely cute options for babies. It’s probably even more fun than shopping for myself! Plus, you can get one (or 10) of the onesies that say, “My Aunt is my BFF” and feel immense pride whenever the little squirt wears it.

Including dressing them in your school’s clothes

I’ve walked by the rack of baby clothes in the bookstore so many times, and I was so excited when I became an aunt because I finally had an excuse to buy the adorably tiny spirit wear! 

You can teach them things

How it feels when they do something you taught them

There’s no better feeling than having a tiny hand grip on yours as they take shaky steps, or hearing them repeat your name for the first time. 

It’s an excuse to watch all the fun kid’s shows and movies

Let’s face it, it’s just not always socially acceptable to binge-watch Arthur and relive your childhood. Unless, of course, you’re doing so with a 3-year-old. And this way, you always have a date to go see the latest Disney movie in theatres without looking weird.

You’re a role model 

It’s actually a pretty big deal to have them look up to you, and as an aunt, you have a huge influence on their life. It feels amazing to be able to be a part of their childhood and help them grow into the person they are.

You get sent endless adorable photos and videos

My exact reaction to any photos of my nieces.

This year on my birthday, my sister sent me a video of my niece saying, “Happy Birthday Lace!” and it’s the little things like that that make your day, trust me. Having a shared album with my family is so much fun because I can keep up to date in their lives through photos, especially when I can’t see them very often. 

It’ll up your Insta game

If it involves my nieces, the answer is yes.

Cute babies are just one of those things that get likes on Instagram. It’s a fact. 

You get a taste of being a parent…

Being an aunt is endlessly fun because you can practice what parenting is really like, and it gives you experience for if/when you decide to have kids of your own. 

…without the gross stuff

Poo explosion? Yep, now seems like a great time to hand you back to your mom…

You’ve got a buddy for life

And I wouldn’t trade my two little buddies for anything!

Lacey Jantzi

Wilfrid Laurier

Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.