Why Barney Stinson is so Awesome — and Why Everyone Deserves a Friend Like Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Being awesome is Barnabas Stinson’s forte. He has an awesome job, awesome friends, an awesome blog and some darn awesome rules that he includes in the Bro Code — which includes all of the Bro rules in all of the Bro-Nation.

So, here’s the captured moments of all the times Barney was legen — wait for it — dary.

The Ultimate Wing Man 

Even if Barney frowned down upon Ted’s desperate quest to find “the One,” he never stopped trying to hook his bro-da up with a girl.

His Unconditional Support 

Personally, I think the most adorable friendship in the show was one of the most underrated ones: the relationship between Barney and Lily. Although he is totally against monogamy, Marshmallow (Marshall) and Lilypad (Lily) are the exception — and he literally does everything to keep them happy. Even if it means paying for their honeymoon by requesting Lily paint him in the nude.

The Way He Idolizes Marshall

While it may seem that Barney is always challenging Marshall, it seems to me that it’s more because he looks up to Marshmallow as an older brother, rather than an enemy. Between the little bets they make, the challenges Barney takes on and even the way Barney chirps the lover-man for only being with one woman, it’s like he’s trying to earn Marshall’s respect more than anything.

The slap bets between the two basically require their own article, because it’s just an amazing, unforgettable element in the show.

Last But Not Least. Wait For It … Robin.

I love everything about these two. If the show got one thing right, it was the character development between these two. Their personalities, their values, everything — it all makes them actually perfect for each other. Not many shows actually tailor their romances to be realistic, developing a relationship between people that should actually be together but HIMYM definitely did. They are everything. Also, I haven’t finished the show, so I don’t know how it all ends, so if you’ve finished and read this part, don’t mind me helplessly fangirling over them.

Basically, I think everyone deserves a Barney in their lives. While he is super entertaining, the character is also a super genuine dude who always thinks about his friends and their happiness. The day I meet a real-life Barnabas Stinson, I am tying him down and forcing him to marry me.

Hanna Jackson

Wilfrid Laurier

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.