Career > Money

White Elephant Gift Ideas to Sleigh this Christmas Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

December has arrived, the weather is getting cold and the snow is falling on the ground. This can only mean one thing: it’s Christmas time! Christmas is one of my favourite holidays. Like many others, I believe that Christmas should not only be celebrated the day of, but the entire month of December. Christmas festivities are just so full of joy and the best way to enjoy them is with your friends. One of the activities my friends and I are going to do is White Elephant. The classic game is like Secret Santa but instead of getting a gift for a specific someone in the group, you don’t know who is going to receive the gift. The anonymity of the gift receiver makes deciding a gift hard. You must choose something widely loved and popular enough that anybody within your friend group would like it. So, here are some ideas if you are planning to do White Elephant with your friends but are having a hard time deciding what to get.

Gift Cards

This is one of the most basic gifts you can get and although I’ll be judging you if you give this gift to anybody, I can’t lie, it is the most convenient. I mean, who doesn’t love money? Plus, you won’t have to worry about choosing anything. The receiver does the job for you. If you really can’t think of anything, a gift card is convenient, accessible and hard for someone not to love. To make this gift more unique, I’d suggest picking a store that is special to your friend group or a new place that you know your friends would enjoy. It’ll add just a bit more unexpectedness to your gift.

Body Care Products

Skincare has been on trend recently and for good reason, but it’s usually too personal to gift since people have varying different skin types that affect what products they can use. On the other hand, body care is more universal and still falls in the self-care spa day category. Gift your friends a nourishing body lotion for the dry winter season or a body scrub to help them achieve smooth skin. Play around with different product textures and scents to make your gift that much more special.

Unique Snacks

This is another simple gift idea; you can never go wrong with food! However, getting basic chips or candy would be boring and not festive. Instead, shop around online or at your local grocery store and see what unique flavours of snacks they have. Giant gummy bears or bacon-flavoured sodas are all unique snacks that would get a laugh from your receiver and make them feel more special than simple Lay’s chips would.

Cozy Products

Lastly, since it’s nearly the winter season, getting a cozy gift to prep for the chilly nights of December would be great for anybody. Fluffy blankets, cute plushies or a moody candle will be appreciated by any homebody or anyone looking to stay warm on Christmas day. Make it Christmas-themed or a pop culture reference that all your friends love to make it even more special.

This concludes my list and I hope all of you have a happy and festive December surrounded by all the people you love!

Erika Chow

Wilfrid Laurier '26

Erika Chow is a student majoring in Business Administration at Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ontario. She is one of the writers at her university’s Her Campus chapter and loves putting her weekly bursts of inspiration into articles that can be shared and read by others. She writes one article every week and also participates in pitching article ideas to other writers during their meetings. Erika’s work experience ranges from fast-paced food services jobs to formal office-setting positions. She has worked at Tim Hortons as a Team member where she interacted with customers to ensure they got the meal they wanted with the best hospitality experience. She has also been an accounting assistant at Community Living York South, where she had to have strong attention to detail when dealing with the invoices of the organization’s clients. One of her favourite experiences was volunteering at Education For All, where she got to utilize her creativity to design activities that she used when teaching her class of elementary kids. In her free time, Erika enjoys watching Youtube videos, baking, dancing, and hanging out with her friends and family. She’s also a mega k-pop fan and has been to a few concerts. She’s up to date with all the pop culture drama and loves to have thought-provoking conversations while fangirling.