This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

My favourite hobby is reading and I’m always looking for new books that I want to read, which means my TBR list is literally endless. But out of all the books on my TBR, I’ve decided that these are the books (in no particular order) that I want to prioritize finally getting to this year.

Tress of the Emerald Sea by Brandon Sanderson

I’ve always wanted to read a Brandon Sanderson novel but I’m very intimidated since he writes books that are science fiction and more high fantasy than what I usually read. I knew this book would be the first book of his that I read when I found out that he wrote this book in secret as a gift for his wife. I mean how cute is that? If someone doesn’t write a surprise book for me then I don’t want it! This book is also inspired by The Princess Bride, which is so amazing and I’m honestly just so excited to read it!

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

This series is one of my sister’s all-time favourites. I’ve been working so hard to avoid spoilers about this book since it was very popular on TikTok for a while, so I don’t really know what this book is about. But my sister has been in my ear telling me nothing but good things about it, so obviously I have to read it.

When the Moon Hatched by Sarah A. Parker

The cover of this book is absolutely gorgeous, which may or may not be the main reason that I want to read it. It’s also a really long book so it’s a big commitment, but I have high hopes that I’m going to enjoy it because I tend to love a lot of fantasy books.

Once Upon A Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber

I really enjoyed the Caraval trilogy, also written by Stephanie Garber, when I read it a few years ago, and I’ve heard that this series is even better. This series focuses on Jacks, who was a character that I liked reading about in the original series, so I’m excited to see where this book goes.

The Jasmine Throne by Tasha Suri

Recently I’ve been on my sapphic book kick, and I’ve always loved a good fantasy book, so this book seems right up my alley. This book follows a princess that’s trying to remove her brother from the throne as well as a priestess that’s looking for her family and they must work together to both get what they want. I’m really excited to read this and it’s the first book of a series, which is even better since I love reading series.

None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell

I’m a big fan of thrillers and I’m especially excited to read this one as I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. I don’t really know what it’s about though because I love going into thrillers blind to get a better element of surprise!

The Heroes of Olympus Series by Rick Riordan

When the Percy Jackson show first came out, I started rereading the original series and I became obsessed all over again. I’m now planning on reading the rest of the Riordanverse, which is a huge commitment, but it’ll be so worth it since I love the characters and the world.

Imogen, Obviously by Becky Albertalli

This book is about a girl who thought she was straight her whole life until she meets a girl who makes her think she might not be as straight as she thought. The thought of reading about a girl trying to figure out her sexuality makes me happy because that’s not an easy thing to do. I honestly think that reading this book is going to change my life in a way that heals my high school self, which makes me both anxious and excited to read it.

Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

This series is a prequel series to The Mortal Instruments, and I already read the first book in theseries and loved it. My best friend is quite literally begging me to read it and she’s said that the series only gets better as it goes on. I desperately need to keep reading it both to make her happy and since I love the Shadowhunter world so much.

I could honestly keep listing all the books that I desperately want to read, but I think this is a good start to my priority TBR. Now it’s time to see if I’ll actually stick to this list or not.

Jennifer Gibson

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Jennifer is a third year Business student, minoring in Psychology, at Wilfrid Laurier University. Her career goals are to pursue anything that is in a creative field. She loves reading, dancing and hanging out with her friends.