This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of the best things to come out of 2021 was ABBA reuniting! After reviving themselves from 40 years of dormancy, they released their new album Voyage, full of hit singles such as “Don’t Shut Me Down,” “Just A Notion” and “I Still Have Faith in You.” If you grew up watching Mamma Mia on repeat, running around the house scream-singing “Dancing Queen” with a feather boa, the return of ABBA was a pretty big deal!

Even if you’re not a die-hard ABBA fan, everyone has heard of their popular songs, such as “Mamma Mia,” “Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!,” “Voulez-Vous” and “Lay All Your Love on Me.” It’s definitely a red flag if someone doesn’t know at least one ABBA song, in my opinion. Anyway, here’s the bottom line: ABBA is iconic, so what does your favourite ABBA song say about you?

Let’s get into it, shall we? I’ll begin with some of their biggest hits!

“Dancing Queen”

This song celebrates the freedom of dancing, jumping around and enjoying the highs in life. It’s a classic––always requested at a dance or a party. If “Dancing Queen” is your favourite ABBA song, you’re likely someone who tends to be the life of the party! Whether that’s getting others to join you in singing this song or dancing until your feet hurt, you enjoy being social and living in the moment. You bring warm energy to those around you, and others are very grateful for your presence.

“Mamma Mia”

“Mamma Mia” is one of those songs that just playing the intro will trigger an entire crowd and fanbase. It’s delightful! Although it can be considered a basic ABBA song to enjoy, the people who love it are far from that! If you like “Mamma Mia,” you’re someone who is down to earth but also craves a good time! Your life is balanced, with a good mix of independence and extroversion. There’s also a strong possibility you’re a theatre kid or you just love musicals, as this song was likely drilled into your head from a young age!

“Voulez-Vous”

If this is your favourite song, you must enjoy dancing or have a ton of energy because “Voulez-Vous” is a hype song that is super fun to sing and dance to! You’re someone who is high energy in the best possible way! You’re always on the go with everything between work, school and friends, on top of your vivacious social life. The rhythm of this song is electrifying and you just can’t get enough!

“Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!”

This song will make you want to jump back a few decades to the 70’s for a night out at the disco! “Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!” is an absolute bop, and if it’s your favourite, then you’re passionate and in the know. You don’t hesitate to show how you feel and do exactly what you want. Your confidence is admired by others and you truly know how to have a lot of fun!

“Lay All Your Love on Me”

“Lay All Your Love on Me” is sultry yet upbeat. Imagine the scene in Mamma Mia where Sophie and Sky seduce each other, singing this song against the backdrop of the glowing late-afternoon sun on the Greek island of Karaki. If you love singing along to this song, then you have a sweet spot for old romance. You’re charming and kind with a touch of a wild side!

“Fernando”

One of ABBA’s softer songs, “Fernando,” is catchy and beautifully written! And if you’ve seen the sequel Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again, Cher and Andy Garcia do an incredible cover of “Fernando” as well! It’s a very magical song, so if you like it, you’re a kind soul who is likely more introverted and driven. You enjoy the pleasant and simple things in life that make you happy!

“Slipping Through My Fingers”

Grab the tissues. “Slipping Through My Fingers” is a tear-jerker. If this is your favourite ABBA song, you’re someone who likes to feel their emotions. You’re empathetic, caring and fond of reminiscing about childhood memories and the good moments in life. You have probably also thought about singing this song with your mom at your wedding!

“The Winner Takes It All”

This song is felt on a spiritual level. The lyrics are so powerful and speak to all of the emotions and turmoil associated with heartbreak. “The Winner Takes It All” is heartfelt and emotional. If you listen to this song and envision yourself belting out the lyrics on top of a cliff to your ex-lover like Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia, you have a strong presence. You’re compassionate and energetic but are also grounded with how you feel and think, and in turn this leads you to make impactful decisions in your life.

Whether you know ABBA through an unhealthy obsession with Mamma Mia or you grew up listening to their hits, ABBA is one of the best bands in existence. After nearly half a century of producing music, our generation continues to listen to their songs. This article was a lot of fun to write, and hopefully you enjoyed reading a fun play on what some of their songs could say about your personality!

Ashley Barry

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hey hey! I'm a first-year student at Laurier, working towards my BA in English. I'm an avid reader, wine consumer and vinyl record collector. I also enjoy long strolls through the bookstore — always at the expense of my bank account — and attempting to make Pinterest-worthy lattes with my espresso machine. I'm a passionate leader and writer and am ecstatic to be part of Her Campus!