This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The other day, I went to see The Post in theatres. As an aspiring journalist, I expected it to resonate with me because of the “free press” and production themes. What I wasn’t expecting, however, was how incredibly heavily gender played into the film. Much of the plot revolves around Meryl Streep’s character as a female running the Washington Post in the early 1970s. 

The movie, which is based on the true story, had a few cheap and gimmicky shots to juxtapose the power imbalance between women and men, but overall, it did the comparison subtly and with grace. It captured the everyday injustices that we have simply because of our gender, from men talking over us in meetings, to having women in frivolous capacities while the men get to handle the real and important tasks. 

Katherine Graham, played by Streep, is tossed around and silenced, though she is the CEO. Even her most trusted male companions don’t listen to her or acknowledge her ability to lead. Despite this, she still makes her own decisions and stands up for what she believes is right, even though it could land her in jail — and all of her employees out of a job. She takes the risk, against everyone’s advice, because it is what she believes to be moral. 

Even beyond the “fake news” age we are currently living in, that is such an important message, and I hope everyone can take that away from this film and into their real lives. Graham stood up for what she believed in when everyone from her best friend to the President of the United States was trying to silence her. Even if people saw her as meek, stupid, or brash, she pushed forward and did what she thought needed to be done for the greater good.

The fact that she was a woman held her down in the eyes of everyone around her, but it was not the motivating factor in her decisions. That is one of the most real depictions I have ever seen of a woman on screen. It wasn’t a “girl power” narrative — it’s just what women have to do every day. We make decisions as people.

That’s so important. We need to speak for ourselves and make our own decisions. And if someone pushes back, we can’t let them stop us from being in control of our own lives. Sometimes, speaking your mind can get you into a corner. You can get into some tough situations and they can be even tougher to get out of. But standing up for yourself and what you believe in is worth it. 

There’s a common adage throughout history, attributed to a multitude of characters, that says something to the effect of “Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything.” Make sure that you are the one standing. Think critically, and don’t be afraid of your own voice. You deserve to use it just as everyone else in the world. Nothing should be able to stop that — not economic inequality, the colour of your skin, your disabilities, and least of all, your gender. 

Stand up for yourself. Be empowered and unapologetic. Don’t let anyone else control your life. It’s not worth it. 

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.