What Valentine’s Day Movie You Should Watch Based on Your Astrological Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Like many people, I am obsessed with astrology. A Sagittarius myself, I find it scary sometimes how close I am to not only my sign, but the traits of a fire sign in general (anyone who knows me will know I wear my Sagittarius necklace every day)!

Using my knowledge, I decided to put it to good use and create a list of the one movie that each group of signs should watch based on their element. After all, Valentine’s Day is coming soon, and who doesn’t love films based around love?

The Fire Signs (Aries, Leo and Sagittarius) – The Notebook

There is one word that perfectly describes fire signs: passionate. Because of this, the first Valentine’s Day movie that they should watch is The Notebook, a true classic. The story of two people whose love for each other follows them throughout their lives, The Notebook captures the ability of the passion and ferocity that fire signs love with. Additionally, both Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams are Canadian, which is a fun bonus!

The Water Signs (Pisces, Cancer and Scorpio) – Sleepless in Seattle

Sensitive, dreamy and often impulsive, water signs are the stereotypical romantic type. Naturally, Sleepless in Seattle with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan is a perfect fit. Two destined lovers who come together against all odds and experience love at first sight? Perfect when matched with a water signs dreamy attitude. Even further, all of this happening on the top of the Empire State Building in New York? Swoon.

The Air Signs (Gemini, Libra and Aquarius) – La La Land

An instant classic, La La Land will immediately appeal to air signs due to the desire air signs have to be free in their relationships. Both main characters have different goals in life but find an inherent understanding together even if they may not end up together. This is the air sign ideal – having love, but not feeling tied down at the same time. Passionate, clingy romance is not their thing, and this movie doesn’t display a traditional romance.

The Earth Signs (Capricorn, Taurus and Virgo) – The Vow

Earth signs are very loyal and don’t appreciate change. However, when in love, they are extremely caring and give their partners endless support. The Vow shows how difficult loving someone can be when there is a major change that can completely change the course of your romantic life with your partner. However, Channing Tatum’s character shows how deep an earth sign’s loyalty and support for their partner can run. He never gives up on his wife and makes her fall in love with him again. Funny enough, Channing Tatum is a Taurus in real life!

I hope this list has helped you decide on a movie to watch for your Valentine’s Day celebrations, and whether you spend the day alone or with your significant other, show love to the people around you!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her