This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

One of the absolute worst feelings for a writer (or even just a student) is experiencing some form of writer’s block. I get it! Sometimes papers are hard. Where should you start and where should you end? What do you include and what do you exclude? It can be extremely overwhelming. But sometimes even when working on personal projects, writer’s block can cloud your mind and take over your thoughts until you look at the floor and see a bunch of balled-up pieces of paper that you angrily threw down. So, to combat writer’s block, here are a few things that I do!

1. Take a Break!

Sometimes the best way to overcome writer’s block is to take a break. Most of the time, the reason that thoughts won’t come to you as easily as they once would is that you’re feeling a little stressed out. Whether it be personal stress from work, family or school-related stress, it’s okay to take a small break every once in a while. Now I am not telling you to ignore your schoolwork, your family members or your friends by any means. But sometimes taking a step back from your current situation can help you feel a little less stressed out about whatever it is that is clouding up your brain and help those thoughts flow again. Maybe cook a meal or watch your favourite show to relax!

2. Read Your Favourite Book

This one has done wonders for me to get the thoughts unblocked from my brain. Sometimes escaping into a whole other world that you aren’t a part of in your day-to-day life is the best relief to get your brain to work again. My personal favourite is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because it’s a world I know I will never be a part of and in turn, it helps me to keep my mind open. However, from time to time I’ll go for a classic romance to get my mind spinning the wheels again.

3. Take a Shower or Bath

This one is similar to taking a break; however, you are still being productive and not completely ignoring your work or assignments (sort of). Taking a bath (if you have the luxury of a tub in student living) relaxes your brain as well as your nervous system, leaving you to your thoughts or your music and letting your brain feel less overstimulated and stressed for a short period of time. Hot baths and showers are also great for your breathing as hot water increases your heart rate, forcing your body to take in more oxygen. It also clears your sinuses for you.

4. Try Writing in a Different Way Than Usual

Not everyone can afford to take a break, even if it is only for a shower, and I get that. So if this is the case and you need to write this personal project to fit a deadline or an assignment due date is too close for you to stop now, here is a suggestion. If your assignment is a report, for example, and you need to find evidence to support your point, try making it more fun for yourself first. Whenever it seems like my writing is getting stale and I have no more ideas, instead of getting frustrated with myself I make a new document and write random information about the subject even if it just comes out at random and is not fact or anything related. This helps me open up my mind instead of closing it off too much while I am writing. Also, if you are writing a personal project, try opening a new document and writing the first things that pop into your mind or what you can name around you while you type instead. This will break your brain out of that loop of concentration or stress and leave you feeling more relaxed and calmer when you return to your work.

5. Change Your Surroundings

If you’ve locked yourself in your room all day like Rapunzel, it’s no wonder your brain can’t think anymore! Walk to the park with your computer, sit on a bench, take in your surroundings and then try writing again. Or move from your bed to the coffee shop down the road, the restaurant you’ve always wanted to try or the study space at school you pass every day but don’t go to. The options are endless! Moving from one place to another will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to tackle another subject with a more positive outlook.

6. Break it Down

An assignment can feel daunting when you see an outline stating “2000 words” on one subject. I know it has affected me when I see that from time to time, especially when I know the due date is approaching quickly. If there are sections or multiple questions in the assignment, try giving yourself a little more time to complete sections of the assignment bit by bit. Not only will this make a long assignment seem less daunting, but it will feel like it is taking you less time to complete since you are only doing bits at a time. This will also help your brain feel less stressed about the due date since you aren’t cramming it all into the last two hours before it is due.

Now, you may read all of these tips and go, “I’m still feeling overwhelmed with writer’s block!” These tips won’t work for everyone; they are just some of the things that work for me. However, if some of these tips did end up helping you out, I’m happy to hear it and I hope you continue to find good working habits for you. Good luck writing!

Bailey McIntyre

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Bailey is in her third year of English studies at Wilfrid Laurier University. From a small town, she escaped when she could by writing whenever possible, as well as reading all things Sci-fi and Romance. She loves Snowboarding, Baking and watching early 2000s movies with hot chocolate. Bailey has a passion for all things writing related and is also the Arts and Life Section editor for The Cord Newspaper at Laurier. Wishing to pursue editing and publishing post grad, writing is her main creative outlet.