jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

What the Heck is Manifestation?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Manifesting is becoming a fairly popular trend to hear about, and it’s nearly impossible to scroll through Twitter without seeing someone mention manifestation, whether it be as a joke or a serious account. With its recent emergence into popular culture, I’ve gotten quite curious about manifestation, and thought it would be really interesting to explore the concept. Having now researched what it means to manifest, here are some of the things I’ve learned!

First thing’s first…

What even is manifestation?

Manifestation, also referred to as the “law of attraction,” is about focusing on something so much that it turns into your reality. When doing my research, I’ve actually seen it be described as “fancy goal-setting,” and I think that’s a decent way of thinking about it. Manifestation at its best isn’t a passive act that just gives you whatever you want – it’s about getting in the right mindset to be open to the opportunities that will get you where you need to be.

I believe that the main objective of manifestation is to open up your mindset and prepare yourself to be open to vulnerability. It is super easy to be closed off to different opportunities because they fall outside your norm, but if you’re trying to promote change in your life, you probably need to step outside of your routine at least a little bit. As scary as it can be, sometimes you need to say “yes” to those different opportunities in order to successfully achieve your goals, and manifestation is a tool that can help you do just that.

What can be manifested?

Manifestation is a tool that can be used to help reach any sort of goal you’d like to achieve. Some people use it to achieve more materialistic goals – upgrades on vacations, deals on a designer purse, a better financial situation, etc. However, other people use manifestation to improve their relationships with others and themselves. From new career opportunities to getting better at self-love, it seems like you can manifest whatever it is that you need in your life!

How do you actually manifest?

There are lots of step-by-step guides out there trying to tell you exactly how to manifest, but I think that the process of manifestation can and should vary from person to person. Everyone will have different goals that will demand different mentalities and actions from them, but also, everyone is unique, and what works for one person won’t necessarily work for the next.

Some people choose to have manifestation journals where they write out their goals in detail, thinking about the feelings they’ll have once they achieve it, and considering what is currently in their life that is getting in their way.

Other people try their hand at visualizing as a way to manifest what they want. This is done by putting as much effort and energy into picturing the thing you want as you can manage. Imagine how you’ll feel in the moment and try to picture the entire experience of achieving your goal. Once again, you want to be as detailed as possible when thinking about that ideal final outcome. If you’ve ever tried meditation before, this is something that can go hand-in-hand with that; first get into a meditative state, then gradually start introducing key words and images that represent your goals into your mind. Eventually, you’ll be completely focused on that final outcome you want oh so much.

Regardless of what method you choose to go with, make sure you know not just what you want to manifest, but also why you want to manifest it. It goes along with the idea of changing your mindset – if you truly want to break habits and shift your trajectory, you’ll want to have some strong motivation to back that up. One tip I’ve heard before is to focus on what will make you feel good first, and worry about attracting specific things later.

Sometimes it can take time for your goals to actualize, and that obviously can lead to a lot of disappointment. The general advice I’ve seen to combat this is to reflect on the progress that has been made so far, and reaffirm that you trust in the process, even if it’s taking a little longer than you would like. And when you do reach your goals, it’s very important to recognize and acknowledge that so you keep receiving more of what you want.

So, does manifestation actually work?

Personally, I haven’t decided yet if manifestation actually works. I think that if you are already pretty successful setting goals and making things happen for yourself, adding manifestation into the mix won’t change much. However, if you are struggling to organize your frame of mind and time to help you get where you want to be, manifestation might be for you! If you think that’s you, I don’t see how it could hurt to put more conscious thought and effort into making your dream future a reality.

Regardless of if you believe in the power of manifestation or think it’s a new age illusion, hopefully you’ve learned something new about making your dreams a reality.

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her