Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Ways to Stay Productive and Do School Work During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

If you’re a university student like me, your entire life has just been thrust into disarray and inverted into chaos. Days stretch on for what feels like forever and it is as if we are existing in one of my favourite young adult dystopian novels. Now that we are all living in a pandemic, the motivation to do anything at all seems ludicrous and outright laughable. However, we are still university students (and some of us are trying  – like really attempting – to graduate, like me) therefore we must carry on and do online school. This is where I come in, this article will attempt to list off some ways to become productive and carry on with school in these final weeks.

Download a focus app like Forest, Balanced or Hocus Focus

Personally, I am a fan of Forest because while you are focused and not on your phone a tree (virtually) grows. BUT, when you decide to use your phone and become distracted, your tree dies. I am obsessed with the earth and this is a fun way to practice environmentalism (don’t kill your tree, people!)

Call your friends and practice social distancing study sessions

While doing any work, I find that I am most productive when I am with friends because they keep me accountable and what is a little space in stopping that!

Everyone has digital technology nowadays and you can call a friend to keep you on track virtually. Additionally, this option can be great for catching up with your friends. Essentially, take your breaks from work together to chat about anything.

Stay on a schedule

During these days that feel never-ending, it is important to hold on to a schedule. For example, what works best for me right now is doing schoolwork Monday to Friday and leaving the weekends for myself. Also, I am allocating a certain number of hours in a day to work and the rest for relaxation. Scheduling myself into a daily structure helps keeps things in balance and you should try it!

Have a set workspace

I suggest setting aside a certain part of your house for you to do work in. In my experience, if I don’t do this I will lounge around on my bed ‘attempting’ to do work and really just napping. By creating a workspace, even if it’s your desk, kitchen table, dining room table, etc. you will have your body and mind in a setting that will foster productivity.

Work with family

I know this one is similar to number two but it is still useful because I find now that I am home, the majority of distractions are my family. Therefore, I am attempting to coax my family into doing their work with me, so we are all focused at the same time. For one, this means you have someone to keep you accountable who doesn’t mind yelling at you. On the other hand, it means when you all finish your required work for the day you can relax together and not distract one another.

Overall, do the best you can do and reach out to professors when necessary. Everyone (including your professors) is struggling with this massive shift in life right now. Take time for yourself and take mental breaks when needed. You do not need to grind yourself into the ground because you have all the time in the world, realistically. I hope my list helps you all at least a little. Good luck with your studies!!

Michelle Gibson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Michelle is in her 4th year at Wilfrid Laurier University for Communication Studies. If found around campus, she will probably be holding a coffee and running early for class. Her favourite things include dogs, books, stationary, and feminism.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.