Ways to Celebrate When You’re Working on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Okay, can we just agree that Halloween is the best holiday around? The atmosphere around it is just amazing. And dressing up for free candy? The best. But, with Halloween falling on a Tuesday this year, many of us busy people will either be in class or at our jobs instead of celebrating the night away with an obscene amount of chocolate and a thriller. If you’re like me and stuck in the office, here are some ways to make your day more festive. 

Dress Up

Okay, maybe the annual Mean Girls Halloween costumes won’t work in the office and maybe face paint is a bit much, but that doesn’t stop you from something simple! You could do something casual, like a red dress and pearl necklace for Lisa Simpson. If you have a uniform, you could jazz it up with accessories to start a conversation with your clients. 

Trick or treat with your co-workers

If everybody brings a different kind of snack, you can all visit each other’s stations and swap goodies. You’re all in the same boat, after all!

Or see if you can organize something as a team

I’m lucky enough to work in a very pro-Halloween environment, where administration planned all the activities for us, but there’s also nothing wrong with planning it yourself! Have a pumpkin carving contest or a story swap- just make sure you check that it is okay with the higher-ups! 

Get your fix the weekend before 

Midterms are almost over by the time Halloween rolls around, so it’s the perfect time to take a break and relax for a while. If you’re reading this from the Kitchener-Waterloo area, Apollo Cinema has a great Halloween movie lineup, but you can also watch something from the comfort of your home! 

Listen to “This is Halloween”

I mean, you can totally get into the spirit without leaving your desk! And it only takes a few minutes out from the rest of your day that you obviously spend focusing on your work. 

Take some me-time

Missing your favourite holiday is a total drag. Take some time during the day to do something for yourself, whether it’s listening to “This is Halloween” again or trying a spooky new makeup look in the morning. 

And treat yo’self! 

Come on, it’s a special day! Get that chocolate bar you’ve been craving as a treat for your break. Your past little-kid self would be disappointed if you didn’t get anything for Halloween, I’m sure! 

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.
Emily Waitson

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Emily is a twenty-something fourth-year student majoring in English and History. She has a passion for writing, internet-famous cats, and sappy books.