The Waterloo Tea Lover’s Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The fall season is upon us and winter continues to draw near. The comfy sweaters and oversized scarves have been brought out, but our fall ensemble would be incomplete without a warm drink nestled between our cold hands to thaw our numb fingers.

Content that the leaves are brown and the temperature is dropping, many students wait in line to order their pumpkin spice latte, while others dream of sipping hot chocolate, warm apple cider or spiked eggnog (shh don’t tell granny) by the fireplace.

Then you have what you call the teaholics. They are the people who appreciate tea to the point of near obsession. This list is for the student whose kitchen cupboards are overflowing with tin containers of dry teas just waiting to be steeped, and the newbie wandering into dangerous territory.  

Distinctly Tea

This teashop is the hidden gem that you thought you’d never find. At 187 King street S., Unit 5, Distinctly Tea rests in a quiet corner of Uptown Waterloo. With a large selection of unique teas and 15% off for all university students you’ll wonder why you’ve never heard of it before! The walls of the shop are covered with a variety of teas, from ceiling to floor. So, if you’re looking for new flavours to add to your collection, Distinctly Tea is your next stop!  

The Honey Bake Shop

Freshly baked goods, internet connection and tea all in one place? Who could ask for more? This bakery and café is unique for their open-concept shop layout. Once you enter you’re greeted by a display case of beautiful cupcakes, and freshly baked pastries resting along the wooden counter. If you can pry your eyes away from the selection of baked goods surrounding you, bakers can be seen designing their next creation through the glass wall behind the cash register. This is without a doubt the perfect place to spend a Sunday afternoon. So when you visit, order a cup of tea and cupcake, sit by the window and watch the world go by.

Sweet Dreams Tea Shop

If you’re looking for a fun place to chill with your friends, play some board games and enjoy the best bubble tea in town, Sweet Dreams has got you covered. Along with bubble teas, this amazing student friendly shop carries a wide variety of loose-leaf teas that can be iced, made into a latte or steeped into a pot to share with your friends. Just check out their menu! Midnight tea craving? No worries, Sweet Dreams is open until 1:00 am from Sunday to Wednesday and 2:00 am from Thursday to Saturday at the University Plaza.

Teavana

Breathe in… and breathe out. Sip, swallow…breathe out. When you walk into Teavana a power of enlightenment washes over you, they are truly ‘the heaven of tea’. Their knowledgeable staff, and unique tea selection promises that any tea lover or curious wanderer will walk out with a new perspective on the benefits of a quality loose-leaf combination. Tea is not a hobby, it’s a lifestyle.

David’s Tea

Providing Canadians with tea for six years, David’s Tea has been a tea lover’s home away from home, providing an environment that is always friendly. Though I’m sure all teaholics are already aware, David’s Tea is located in the heart of Uptown Waterloo. Their teal and white signature colours cannot go by unnoticed. Have you had your cup today? 
Chasya Dove

Wilfrid Laurier

English and Communications student at Wilfrid Laurier University with a passion for my city. Discovering Waterloo, ON has become my hobby from music festivals, arts shows, local restaurants and hidden coffee spots this place has got it all! With my passion for photography I strive to capture the moment, while learning that sometimes it's best to just let things be.
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier