This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Of course, everything has been majorly different over the past year, and Valentine’s Day is going to be no different. It is important to continue social distancing until everything is completely under control, so here are some virtual date ideas to spend time with that special someone in a safe manner.

Movie Night

All you need is a bottle of wine, popcorn and a cozy blanket to set the mood for the perfect at-home Valentine’s Day, and Netflix is always the way to go. With no scheduling required, a movie night is an ideal date. Teleparty and other chrome extensions also allow for chatting throughout the movie but getting on a FaceTime call can make the date more intimate and real. Some of my favourite movies to watch during Valentine’s Day include Love Actually, Crazy Stupid Love, The Princess Bride, He’s Just Not That into You and Holidate. Honestly, Netflix and chill has no bounds. People are horny, and we’ve all seen the app-controlled sex toys, so this is the perfect time to be using them.

Cook Together

Since quarantine started everyone has taken on new hobbies, the most popular obviously being food-related. Something as simple as baking cookies or making mac and cheese on FaceTime can be a great way to spend some quality time together or even get to know one another. It is all about spending time with one another and making the best out of an unfortunate and devastating situation, and food is always the best way to boost spirits. Even though it may be difficult to stay quarantined, having a virtual date can replicate the same intimacy and mood as an in-person reunion. I totally understand that most university students don’t have the time to cook a meal together, so a stress-free alternative can include ordering food for one another. Simply order your SO’s favourite meal or dessert and enjoy their reaction to an easy yet thoughtful gift.

Online gaming

Playing online games on sites like scribblio and backyard co can help get to know one another, get the conversation flowing and bring back some good childhood memories while also creating some new ones. Solving a virtual escape room or even playing a simple truth or dare game can be uplifting and create an exciting competitive streak. Other online games like Among Us, Valorant and Rust can easily be enjoyed with some more friends.

Gift Exchange

If you have time and it is safe, creating a gift box filled with a sweater, a candle, chocolate and a card is super sweet. Delivering a gift for a virtual unboxing can be a lot of fun, but there are various options for online gifts that can be equally affectionate. For example, instead of purchasing a CD of one’s favourite music album, create and share a customized playlist on Apple Music. It is all about spending some quality time together, so whatever works best is the way to go.

Thanks for reading! I hope these virtual date ideas encourage social distancing and create the mood for an uplifting and adventurous date. 

Isha Pabla

Wilfrid Laurier '24

Writing has always been a passion of Isha's, and while pursuing a major in business and computer science, she finds it wonderful to be able to exercise her creativity and activism with Her Campus. Isha enjoys writing about social justice issues, community engagement and social wellness.