Valentine’s Day is the Worst and Here’s Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

February 14th is fast approaching, meaning it’s time to prepare for the ooey-gooey love birds and mass amounts of PDA. While its purpose is to celebrate those we love, which seems like a great idea, Valentine’s Day is really a commercial wet dream and I’m here to list all of the reasons why it is the worst.

1. Gold jewelry sales produce 34 million tons of mine waste.

2. Africa may be an ideal place to grow flowers, but a lousy place for water. And due to growing roses, it’s drying up rivers and lakes.

3. Valentine’s Day has been studied and evaluated as having the highest suicide rates.

4. The only people who truly benefit from this holiday are the big guys. The corporations that encourage people to whip out their wallets and spend to their heart’s content.

5. There is a lot of pressure put on men to live up to the romantic images broadcasted by commercials and ads that promote Valentine’s Day.

6. That’s not to say women don’t face the same pressures. Lingerie can have a huge, negative impact on the self-esteem and it’s promoted for women to wear for their lovers- especially on February 14th.

7. It promotes the idea that you have one day out of the 365 others in a year to appreciate your SO. I don’t know about you, but some TLC is appropriate for anytime, anywhere, anyhow and not just on one dang day of the year!

Hanna Jackson

Wilfrid Laurier

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.