Valentines Day Woes: Don’t Be Mine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Love me, love me not; for the love of God, leave me alone.

Rejection. It sucks, but sometimes there are a few people out there that seem to deserve it (ah-hem, stage 5 clingers). As Valentine’s Day approaches, it seems as though the rate of rejection is sky high. I don’t know if it’s the desperation in the air that has egos bruised, but if you’re a twenty-something woman who has turned down a man, you’ve probably already encountered this. Let me set the scene:

It’s Friday and you’ve just gotten home from a long week of classes. You look at your roommate and tell them you need to go out tonight and have some fun. You get all dolled up and put on your cutest black dress, then make your way to the bar. Once you get there, your night of busting out your best Justin Bieber dance moves is quickly ruined by a guy whose fragile ego can’t handle your rejection.

His defensive insult probably fell somewhere along the lines of, “I lowered my standards for you!”, “Next time, get your eyebrows done somewhere that charges more than ten dollars”, or “You’re a five anyways!” (all REAL insults my friends or I have experienced btw). These creeps are not only threatening to ruin your night out, but seriously pissing you off.

So I’ve put together a handy-dandy guide on the best way to deal with these modern-day adult male tantrums:

Take the high road

Don’t stoop to his level. Fight that urge to insult him back or defend yourself, because you’ve done absolutely nothing wrong.

Physically remove yourself from the situation

Say, “Well I’m sorry you feel that way,” smile, and walk away. 

Ask to have him removed

If he continues to harass you, don’t hesitate to ask an employee or bouncer to have him removed from the establishment. 

Shout out to all the awesome dudes out there that would never insult a woman who snubs their advances. You deserve ALL the Valentines!

Tegan Versolatto

Wilfrid Laurier

Tegan Versolatto recently received her Wilfrid Laurier University B.A. in Honours Communications, during which she was a member and assistant captain of the Golden Hawks competitive cheerleading team. She has gone on to host, anchor and report for a number of live events and televised programs, finding her passion in journalism. She is currently completing her Sheridan College postgraduate diploma in Journalism New Media, and internally crying anytime someone mentions the "real world". In her free time she can be found at the gym working out whilst simultaneously daydreaming about chocolate, or binge watching the latest reality television dating disaster. Be my friend (plz) on twitter/IG: @teganversolatto
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem