The Ultimate Fall Dates Guide for Waterloo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Autumn is a romantic and beautiful time of year.  With Christmas being two months away and the cool weather coming in, it is the perfect time to begin snuggling up with your significant other.  Here are the best dates for your fall semester in Waterloo. 

Obviously go apple picking.  

Not sure where to go? We got you covered! Everything is at least a 30-minute drive out of town. There are a few options ranging in prices, all open till the end of October. 

• Orchard Home Farm ➡️ Located at 235 Howell Road, St. George.  Open everyday between 9:00 am from 7:00 pm! 
  • Chudleigh’s Farm ➡️ Located at 9528 Regional Road 25, Halton Hills. Open everyday between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm! 
  • Orchalaw Farms ➡️ Locataed at 97266 Heritage Rd, Brampton.  Open Mon., Tues., Thur., & Fri. between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm.  Closed Wednesdays. Saturday & Sunday between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm! 

Catch a sports game.

Dress cosy in all your purple and gold gear and catch the Golden Hawks on October 22nd verses Windsor.  There is nothing like snuggling up for a sports game with a hot cocoa (or a cold beer) and your Laurier pride.   It’s also a great date for a big group of friends. Buy your tickets here!  There are also a lot of great winter sports just starting their seasons, including men’s and women’s hockey, basketball and curling.  For schedule information and tickets, visit here!

Go for a hike. 

There are so many beautiful trails in Dundas and Hamilton.  Above is Dundas Peak, just off of Webster Falls.  Between September and October hiking turns from a hot and sweaty date, that requires reapplication of greasy sunscreen, into a cool and breathtakingly beautiful foliage journey.  Check out Spencer Creek Gorge, Elora Gorge Trail, Cup and Saucer Trail and more.  There are dozens of options between 30 minutes to an hour away from Waterloo, and well worth the road trip.

Tip: hit a grocery store and bring a picnic for one of the scenic view stops.  

Cook dinner together. 

Staying in and cooking a home cooked meal is so underrated.  Go grocery shopping and get a bottle of wine and stay in and place music and cook a great meal.  It is one of the most romantic and rewarding things you can do with your S.O.

Go to a concert.

As the nights begin to cool down, there is less you can do for outdoor evening activities. Live music is a great way to get dancing and have a crazy fun night out with your significant other.  This fall Sia, Troye Sivan, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, Niykee Heaton, Oh Wonder and many more are coming to Toronto and Hamilton.  Keep an eye out for tickets online!

Check out live music at a local pub. 

A lot cheaper than a concert, and still a ton of fun.  My personal favourite is The Duke of Wellington, which have live music every night of the week.  They constantly have great local bands and incredible beers on tap.  Their list of entertainment is posted online!

Have a bonfire in a friend’s backyard.  

Roasting marshmallows. Telling stories. Cuddling up to friends and loved ones. Does it get any better?  This is a great group date and is a perfect way to spend a night in. 

Go to the St. Jacobs Farmer’s Market.

This market is full of fresh fruit, veggies and life.  It is the largest year-round market and is open every Thursday and Saturday from 7:00 am – 3:30 pm.   Enjoy the tapestries of local music, foods and culture.  When you go, you must try the apple fritters… they are to die for.

Visit the Fear Farm.

Get spooked and startled at Snyder’s Family Farm, which turns spooky every weekend this fall.  Five different horrifying haunts, and a creepy corn maze will get your S.O. cuddling right up to you.  Open from 7pm till 10pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. If you don’t like scary, the farm has a lot of amazing Halloween activities during the day as well.  Check out their website here and here.

Have a picnic at Waterloo Park.

We are so lucky to have such beautiful park just minutes away from campus.  Take advantage of the sunny days left this fall and have a picnic in the park.  (Waterloo Park also has amazing Christmas lights in December.)

Have a movie marathon.  

Halloween movies are awesome.  Set up a movie marathon night, with lots of Halloween snacks and candlelight and cozy blankets.  Depending on your taste, you can have scary movies or just the hilarious Halloween classics.  Here are my personal favourites:

• Practical Magic with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman,
  • Hocus Pocus (obviously) with Kathy Najimy, Bette Midler and Sarah Jessica Parker,
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer with Kristy Swanson,
  • Beetlejuice with Winona Ryder, Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin,
  • Idle Hands with Seth Green, Devon Sawa and Jessica Alba,
  • Edward Scissorhands with Johnny Depp,
  • Disturbia with Shia LaBeouf, and
  • Warm Bodies with Teresa Palmer and Nicholas Hoult.  

And if you’re going to watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show… You have to do it in a theatre. 

If you haven’t seen it before, you are missing out.  In theatres, people dress up and get totally into the movie.  You can bring props, like toast, water guns and newspapers. Watch it at Princess Cinemas Friday the 28th, Saturday the 29th, Sunday the 30th, or Monday the 31st.  Many shows are sold out, so get your tickets soon.  Check out the times at here!

Go pumpkin picking.  And then carve them.  

Near waterloo there are many great spots to go pumpkin picking.   You can go to:

• Nauman’s Farm ➡️ Located at 3250 Hessen Strasse., R.R. #1, St Clements.  Open from Monday to Friday at 9:00 am to 6:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.  
  • Shantz Farm ➡️ Located at 1544 Bleams Rd., RR#2, Petersburg.  Open everyday from 8:00 am till 8:00 pm and Sundays from 12:00 pm to 6:00 pm.  
  • Snyder’s Family Farm ➡️ Located at 936685 Blenheim Rd, Bright.  Open Monday to Friday from 10:00 am till 5:00 pm and weekends from 10:00 am till 5:00 pm. 

Fall really is the best time of year, and despite the fact that we are all drowning in midterms and essays; make time to do all of the great things that autumn in Ontario offers. #FallFoliage

Danielle Bazely

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year Commuications major focusing in Business and Management, with an Economics minor at Wilfrid Laurier University.  Red wine lover and foodie (or excessive eater).  Type A personality with a perfectionist complex and a grammar addiction.  Can either be found in her red Jeep or at the on campus Starbucks.   
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem