Travel on a Student Budget: Get Rich, Spending Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Wanderlust – a strong desire to travel.

I can remember my first solo trip; getting to the airport, checking my baggage, and boarding the plane all on my own was a thrill. I was a sixteen-year-old heading to Europe for the entire summer, and I was bit by the travel bug. 

I finally felt what everyone always talks about: travelling is the only way to get richer by spending your money – and you do spend your money. Traveling is not by any means an inexpensive pastime; nevertheless, it is a necessary one. The experience, wisdom, self-growth, and opportunities one accumulates along the way are priceless and cannot be taught in school. But how does travelling make you a richer individual?

One guarantee that any seasoned traveler will tell you is that hitches arise. No matter how fail-safe the plans, language barriers, delayed flights, double booked rooms, stolen passports/wallets, and the like are all normal parts of travelling. However, it is these setbacks that teach patience and resilience. Above all else, travelling offers new frames of reference and fresh perspectives. If there is one thing traveling will guarantee, it is an escape from the confines of your everyday life resulting in not only a humbler individual, but also a stronger, more adaptable one. Traveling will present challenges and opportunities that build your character and shape how you see the world, from building homes or schools in undeveloped countries, to fine dining cuisine, and art in Europe, travelling will ignite a passion in you that will last a life time. 

So where could you go, collegiates? Here are 15 possible places to travel to in Europe with corresponding safe and affordable hostels.

1. Ibiza, Spain

Hostel: Hostal Giramundo Ibiza

2. Barcelona, Spain

Hostel: Cool Hostel

3. Florence, Italy

Hostel: Hostel 7 Santi

4. Venice, Italy

Hostel: San Geremia Rooms

5. Rome, Italy

Hostel: The Yellow

6. Santorini, Greece

Hostel: Anny Studios Perissa Beach

7. Bruges, Belgium

Hostel: Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

8. Nice, France

Hostel: Hostel Pastoral

9. Vienna, Austria

Hostel: Wombats City Hostel – at The Naschmarkt

10. Dublin, Ireland

Hostel: Generator Dublin

11. Dubrovnik, Croatia

Hostel: GuestHouse Maria

12. London, England

Hostel: The Walrus Waterloo

13. Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hostel: Flying Pig Uptown

14. Copenhagen, Denmark

Hostel: Sleep in Heaven

15. Naples, Italy

Hostel: Welcome Inn

As for costs, a bed or room in a hostel can cost anywhere from $5-$30 per night in some of the big Western Europe cities. The price will vary depending on the location of the hostel, the amenities it supplies, the size of your room, and the number of other occupants, along with other varying factors. Hostels are a great way to travel as a student on an affordable budget and also meet some crazy interesting people from all over the world. You will be surrounded by like-minded wander-lusters who are looking for good time and adventure, and boy will you have found it!

Safe travels, collegiates. xo

Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem