Top 5 Reasons You Should Try Wanderlust Watercolours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

What’s better than picking up a new hobby or expanding on an old one?

Watercolour painting is an artistic pastime that has gained a lot of traction among university women in the past little while. Who can blame us? Between the rich colours, the rise of watercolour in bullet journaling and the countless YouTube tutorials to get you started, watercolour painting is a beautiful and rewarding way to spend your time. 

One local artist has turned her passion for watercolour into a business selling paints, called Wanderlust Watercolours. Apart from the occassional popup, you can exclusively get these paints online. 

So why try indie paints instead of just popping over to a chain craft store? You could take my word for it that these paints are amazing. If you need a little more convincing, check out my top five reasons to support Wanderlust Watercolours here!

It’s a one-woman show

Kata, who you can find on Instagram as @kataish, is a stay-at-home mom that has turned her love of watercolour painting into a business. By buying these paints, you can rest assured that you’re supporting a family instead of buying a CEO a fourth vacation home. Kata is a wonderful, supportive person, and you’d say the same if you ever met her! 

It’s local

Okay, so Wanderlust Watercolours is out of London, which may or may not be local to some of you. However, the paints are often available at Phidon Pens‘ popup markets in Cambridge, which is on the bus route right from Laurier! 

All of the paints are hand mulled

They’re also made from professional artist grade pigments, so you know that they’re not only made with care, but they’re also super high quality. Each pan is filled and dried in stages to minimize overall shrinkage, which means that you’ll be getting your money’s worth!

They support important causes

Recently, Wanderlust put out the “Love is Love” collection, which supported the LGBTQ+ community and had a colour named for each stripe in the pride flag. A generous portion of each purchase went towards Rainbow Railroad, a charity that helps queer people relocate from countries of persecution to somewhere in the world where they can live their lives in freedom. 

The paints always sell out

A marker of quality is that these paints always sell out! Make sure that you’re on the email list because the paints are made in small batches and they sell out fast! Make sure you have your wallet ready for the next collection!

Next time you’re online shopping or looking to pick up a new talent, make sure to check out Wanderlust Watercolours! I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.