Top 5 Best and Worst Dressed of the 57th Grammy Awards

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Award season is as much about fashion as it is music, and truth is, not much could possibly be better than the best of the music industry wearing some of the finest pieces on the red carpet. The winners of the Grammy Awards have already been announced, but now we’re revealing our nominations for the best and worst dressed celebs on the red carpet this year. What do you think?

Top Five Best Dressed

1. Gwen Stefani

Now THIS is how to rock a jumpsuit on the red carpet! Gwen Stefani is killing it in this Atelier Versace piece, paired up with her simple hair and minimalist makeup. The elegant detailing on the bustier and tapering at the ankle do wonders for her slim figure and the black contrasts wonderfully with her flawless skin. Definitely one of our favourite looks of the night!

2. Taylor Swift

We were on the fence about this one but in the end, we decided that if anyone can rock teal and fuchsia together, it’s definitely going to be T. Swift! This Elie Saab dress was practically made for her; the colour works great with her blonde hair and the earrings tie it all together. The high cut on the skirt works wonders for her long legs and the pop of fuchsia adds that extra little touch on the outfit.

3. Miley Cyrus

This beautiful Alexandre Vauthier dress is one of the more tame looks Miley has rocked lately, but she’s definitely rocking it nonetheless. The cut outs are her signature look and when placed in strategic places, it is very flattering on her petite figure. Her natural look and simple jewelry help tie the look together and really bring out that classy girl we love to see. 

4. Beyoncé

This list would not be complete without Queen B claiming a spot! Beyoncé rarely disappoints in terms of her looks on the red carpet and we have to admit that this is easily an all time favourite. From the plunging neckline to the sheer train, this Proenza Schouler dress looks like it was made for Beyoncé’s curvy figure. Her natural hair and makeup look can really make you believe she wakes up flawless. 

5. Ariana Grande

There was some debate with this one as well, but Ariana Grande’s signature high ponytail strangely brings the look together. The shimmering silver piece and cut out in the front of the Atelier Versace dress emphasized her bust whereas the slit in the side elongates her slim legs. All in all, this dress does a beautiful job at highlighting her best features.

Top Five Worst Dressed

1. Rihanna

This one was heartbreaking to witness considering Rihanna almost always looks on point on and off the red carpet. This Giambattista Valli dress distorts her figure, flattens her bust, and vaguely resembles a ghost from Pacman or a giant pink loofah. Here’s to hoping for her redemption next year!

2. Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj’s red carpet looks can be a hit or a miss, more so the latter in this case. The plunging neckline draws attention to her bust but not nearly as much as the bottom half of the Tom Ford dress, as it closely resembles an unrolled VHS tape. Not her best outfit but she looks fierce regardless.

3. Kim Kardashian West

Kim is one of the most popular fashion icons in Hollywood today, yet this style choice can make you a little wary of her taste in red carpet fashion. This Jean Paul Gaultier piece has Kim’s signature deep neckline cut but looks more like a luxurious robe than a dress. While her makeup and new hair cut look beautiful, the dress has simply got to go. Luckily years of iconic and jaw-dropping style make up for this dress.

4. Madonna

As far as wardrobe malfunctions go, Madonna has had her fair share. Adding a full butt flash to the cameras on the red carpet is just one more to add to the list. As a Grammy Awards veteran, she’s entitled to a few questionable outfits, this being one of them. Her Givenchy piece presents lots of cleavage but vaguely resembles a “sexy maid” costume you can find at a frat Halloween party. Fortunately for Madonna, she can wear anything or nothing at all and still be the Queen of Pop.

5. Joy Villa

If an inanimate object representation was an award category, Joy Villa is definitely the winner! Surprisingly, this Andre Soriano-designed frock is made entirely of orange construction snow fencing! This was a first in Grammy Awards apparel history and Joy rocked it with no shame. We love a woman who has the confidence to take fashion risks and feel comfortable in her own skin!  

What were your favourite looks from Sunday’s Grammy Awards? Let us know on Twitter

Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier