etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 3 Worst Netflix Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

The beginning of the holiday season means binging all of the Christmas movies that Netflix has to offer. If you’re anything like me, you immediately pick the ones that look the worst just so you can laugh at them (and rate them so that you can give other people recommendations). After much contemplation and decision-making, here are the top three worst Christmas movies on Netflix.

The Princess Switch

I’m sure Vanessa Hudgens asked herself this after starring in this movie. Yikes.

The Princess Switch stars Vanessa Hudgens as both of the main characters. One is a princess and the other is an ‘ordinary’ baker from Chicago. Christmas mischief ensues, and the two have to pretend to be one another. Needless to say, this movie features two different romances.

Honestly, when it comes to bad Christmas movies, this one is one of the best.

Hearing Vanessa Hudgens struggle to do a British accent and make both characters endearing is hilarious, and the two male leads are hopelessly bland.

If you like Hallmark Christmas movies, this one is for you!

A Christmas Prince

The director after seeing the 5.8/10 rating on IMDB.

A Christmas Prince is the story of a reporter who goes undercover as a tutor to get inside information on a prince; hijinks ensue.

This is one of the most bizarre Christmas movies I have ever seen. The acting is incredibly bad, and the ‘bad guys’ of the film are on Scooby-Doo levels of badly written.

However, if you like incredibly cringe-worthy Christmas movies that make your teeth feel as if they are rotting, you’ll probably enjoy it.

Let it Snow

Yet another 5.8/10 rating. Yikes. Good job, Netflix.

In this bad Christmas film, a group of teenagers are brought together on Christmas Eve due to a freak snowstorm. Romance and drama, predictably, take place.

Out of the three I have mentioned, I probably enjoyed this one the most. The acting wasn’t terrible, and the story was pretty cute. Additionally, there was LGBT representation! It was cliché of course, but not stiflingly.

There is my list of the top three worst Christmas movies on Netflix! Even though they are the worst, they can be a good distraction or break from the pain of working on exams and final projects.

I don’t know about you, but I’m looking forward to the quiet that will come after exams, where I can watch all the Christmas movies that Netflix has to offer (far too many).

Needless to say, look forward to an even longer list of these films next year, maybe even including a few decently good ones!

Bronte Behling

Wilfrid Laurier '23

A second year Cultural Studies and Film Studies double major student at Wilfrid Laurier University, Bronte has had a passion for creative writing since middle school where she took an online summer course about J.R.R Tolkien's the Silmarillion. A cat lover, Star Wars fan and podcast enthusiast she aims to gain more writing experience through this publication in order to pursue her post-degree goal of becoming a journalist.
Sarah McCann

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Sarah is a fourth year Communications and Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University who is passionate abut female empowerment. She is one of two Campus Correspondents for the Laurier Her Campus Chapter! Sarah loves dancing, animals, photography, ice cream, and singing super obnoxiously, in no particular order.