Wellness > Sex + Relationships

The Three Kinds of Soulmates You Will Encounter in Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I have always been a firm believer in the notion of soulmates. 

Soulmates are the people who echo you, make you aware of your good — and not so good — patterns and help you to move forward in the journey that is life. Despite what Nicholas Sparks films tell us about love — and soulmates — I do not believe that there is only one matching soul for each of us in this grand world. 

In fact, I imagine that there are multiple different soulmates for different aspects of our lives and that we can have a number of each kind. That’s not to discredit the feeling of finding “the one,” but to remind us that there are many “ones” that will come and go from our lives once they have served their due time. 

On that basis, I believe that these kindred souls arrive when you least expect it and help you to develop deeper and more meaningful relationships in the future.

Below are the three kinds of soulmates I have identified and believe to have the most substantial influence on our lives. 

Karmic Soulmates 

Have you ever met someone and thought, “I must have known you in another life?” These are what is known as karmic soulmates. They are often strangers who you meet in passing or individuals who make you feel as if you have known them your whole life, despite only just meeting. These kindred souls, essentially, come into our lives to teach us lessons and promote personal growth. 

They embody a sense of familiarity that you would not feel with a random stranger and leave our lives once they have served their purpose. This kind of soulmate’s function is to make you aware of your good — and not so good — patterns and are central to your particular growth as an individual.

They are commonly not your “forever person,” but can leave a lasting impact in your life.

Companion/Friendship Soulmates 

This particular aspect of the “soulmate” notion includes individuals who share similar experiences, tastes, interests and pasts. Companion soulmates are commonly found in the form of a best friend. This doesn’t always mean in human form — companion soulmates can be animals too. These particular kinds of souls can be platonic friendships; despite the fact they are not romantically connected, both are aware that the other holds a central part in their lives.

Companion soulmates share a deeper bond than most friendships and share aspects of their lives with each other they would not with other people. Despite the fact that companion/friendship soulmates have a deep and long-lasting connection, this does not guarantee they will be in our lives forever. 

Similar to karmic soulmates, these ones also come into our lives for specific purposes and leave once they have completed their time with the other. 

Think about a friend you have had that felt like a “long lost” sister or brother. These same people  are often referred to as “forever friends.” Although some of the time people you have shared such a deep connection with do stay around for the majority of our life, most of them do not. Someone moves to another country — or you have a falling out with the other. Even though this can be an emotional experience at first, companion soulmates come and go also. 

With karmic and companion soulmates, however, when they depart from our lives we can reflect on the good they have served us, rather than dwelling on the loss and emotional disconnect. 

Romantic Soulmates 

Ah, last but certainly not least — the romantic soulmate. Granted, most real-life relationships are nothing like Noah and Allie’s from The Notebook; however, I do believe that romantic soulmates exist. The romantic soulmate is commonly referred to as one’s “other half,” as it is much like finding yourself in another individual. 

The romantic soulmate generally embodies a combination of characteristics from both the karmic and companion soulmates. These individuals often offer a sense of familiarity, teach us a variety of lessons — and are people we share many aspects of our lives with. 

That being said, romantic soulmates do not always share the same experiences, tastes and goals as the other; instead, they work together to find a balance in their relationship and hence, help each other to grow as individuals. 

However, I think it is relevant to add that romantic soulmates are not always the people we end up with, despite what Hollywood films make it out to be. I think it is more important to realize that romantic soulmates can also leave our lives, in fact, they commonly do. 

Instead, these souls award a mutual feeling and respect for one another, as well as the belief that no matter where each path may lead, they will always hold a special place in the other’s heart.I believe that the preconceived notion of “one soulmate” for each person does not exist. It is simply hard to believe that in a world of over seven billion souls, there is only one soul that can be defined as our “other half.” I firmly believe that there are all kinds of soulmates, that serve different purposes — and ultimately more than one from each group. 

Hence, it is important to remember that there is no such thing as the one, but that there is such a thing as “the ones.” 

Gina-Marie Rubinia

Wilfrid Laurier '20

Currently studying General Arts at Laurier. I have always enjoyed writing as a past time and think it is the best way for anyone to express their inner creativity. Avid romantic movie watcher (I'm talking recite the lines to every Nicholas Sparks film, obsessed). If I could move to any fictional location it would be Tree Hill, North Carolina (also an OTH fanatic). I'm a firm believer that every person needs to experience The Office (at least) once in their lifetime. Oh and I am most definitely a dog over cats type of person.