Thoughts I Have When Passing My Old High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

I go to university in the same city I went to high school. That means occasionally I have to drive by that collegiate prison, that creativity-oppressing institution, that glass-ceiling h*ll-hole. I mean, it wasn’t that wrecked – don’t get me wrong here. It was no Pacific Coast Academy, but it wasn’t Alcatraz either. I honestly didn’t hate high school at all, until I got to university. Then I learned to appreciate the freedom, the vast opportunities, and the lack of school uniform (Catholic school problems). As a twenty-one year old university student, here are some of the things that go through my mind when driving by the campus that houses my pubescent years (*shudders*).

No, no, no. Up there, there it is.

Here come the memory flashbacks and regrets. I should have gone a different way.

Don’t look to the right, don’t look to the r…did they get a new sign?

“And over here on your right was the site of some of the dumbest things I ever did, with people I don’t really talk to anymore.”

This place would look nice if I didn’t know what went on inside those walls.

Sh*tty uniforms, sh*tty rules, sh*tty class options. SH*TTY.

Thank God there’s life after high school.

Trust me kids, the grass is greener on the other side. Not much, but definitely greener.

Why did Troy Bolton never go to my high school?

There were no flash mobs in the lunch room, or epic romantic ballads in the staircases, unless I just missed them.

Or Tim Riggins?

I’d settle for any of the fellas from Friday Night Lights, honestly.

I wonder if any of my old teachers still work there.

Who am I kidding, teachers live at school.

Maybe I should have taken a fifth year?

Ya, no way…I got out of there as fast as I could.

I wonder if that couple is still together?

Likely, considering everyone I went to high school with is getting engaged (except me).

Ah, the good old days. Not really. Maybe. I’m still undecided if high school sucked or not. Either way, there’s no going back now, and that’s probably for the better. I can’t wait to see how everyone’s lives have turned out by the time we have a reunion. Who am I kidding, I likely won’t go. All I know now is I need to find some better routes, ones that avoid passing that dreaded holding facility.

Jenna Weishar

Wilfrid Laurier

Fourth year, 20-something year old Psychology and Sociology Major at Wifrid Laurier University. Sorority Girl. Lover of Grey's Anatomy, the Bachelor/Bachelorette, and Sex and the City. Relies heavily on caffeine to get through the day, and wine at night. Follow me on Instagram: @jennaweishar and Twitter: @jennaweishar
Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.