This Is the Music Pipeline You Should Follow to Get Into K-Pop 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Like many, my music taste is very broad and eclectic. It ranges from 19th-century classical to 70s folk, to as you can see from the title, K-pop. 

I’ve only been listening to K-pop for the past three and a half years, but as I’ve discovered more and more of it, I’ve realized that it can’t be confined to just one genre. There’s such a diversity of good music within the scope of K-pop, and I’ve loved exploring its many nooks and crannies. 

So, for all those who have been intrigued by K-pop but don’t know where to start, I got you! Here are my K-pop artist and song recommendations based on your favourite genre. 

Light Pop 

A lot of female musicians in K-pop use a bubbly concept for their music and tend to do this genre very well, with a couple especially coming to mind. 

If you’re looking for poppy tunes that capitalize on the cute factor, look into the girl group TWICE. They’re arguably one of the most popular groups in K-pop, with some of their iconic songs including “Likey” and “Fancy”. 

Also, the solo artist (and actress) IU is known for her sweet vocals, making soft, happy music that honestly reminds me of spring. “eight” (featuring Suga from BTS) is one of my favourites from her! 

Rock 

Now, I know rock fans have doubts about expanding their personal, elitist taste in music, but hear me out.  

One of my all-time favourite groups is Dreamcatcher. Edgy, dark, and fantasy-influenced, this girl group has it all, mixing rock and metal with modern electronic elements. If I’m yearning to head-bang to some empowering, catchy beats, this is my go-to group. My top song recommendations? “BOCA” and “Deja Vu”. 

I also can’t ignore DAY6, the rock OGs of the K-pop industry. Less influenced by EDM than Dreamcatcher, DAY6 has the classic rock vibe that might be more appealing for old-school fans (make sure you check out “Sweet Chaos”). 

EDM 

While we’re on the topic of electronic-influenced music, it’s time to introduce most artists in K-pop! Just kidding. But while it’s certainly true that a lot of artists in the K-pop industry incorporate EDM in one way or another, there are a few that I think have especially nailed it. 

ATEEZ and Stray Kids are two of the most current and well-known K-pop groups, making bop after bop of trap-tinged electronic music. 

I’m slightly embarrassed to say that this is my most beloved genre and my list of EDM recommendations is probably too long to fit in this article. But I’m going to try and limit myself to three songs per group. For ATEEZ, I recommend “Horizon”, “Fireworks (I’m The One)” and “HALAZIA”, and for Stray Kids’ discography, I recommend “MIROH”, “Side Effects” and “Back Door”. I promise you won’t be disappointed! 

R&B  

Many people don’t think that K-pop includes music on the chiller side of the spectrum, but don’t worry, they have plenty of rhythm and blues as well. Some notable solo artists known for their R&B style are Yerin Baek and DPR IAN. 

Yerin Baek is a celebrated vocalist in South Korea who has released a number of soft, smooth grooves such as “Popo (how deep is our love?)”. Incorporating a darker, more atmospheric sound, DPR IAN has also found much success in songs such as “So Beautiful” and “Mood”. 

And I couldn’t resist mentioning the R&B-influenced girl group NewJeans, one of the most recent sensations in K-pop. “OMG” is an absolute vibe and their most popular hit; rightfully so, dare I say. 

Hip-Hop 

If you’re curious about Korean rap as a specific element of hip-hop in the Korean music industry, I want to preface this section by mentioning that rappers are an essential part of almost all K-pop groups. Essentially, it’s standard to hear both singing and rapping in most songs. 

With that being said, there are a couple of solo rappers that have made a big impact on the Korean hip-hop industry, such as Jay Park (despite his controversial behaviour, but that’s a different conversation). His most well-known track? “Mommae”. For a slightly less sexual song of his (although that’s sometimes hard to find), check out “To Life”. 

CAMO is another one of the hottest artists on the K-Hip Hop scene – I’m currently loving “MAPSI”, a track on her most recent album released only in February. 

Jazz and Classical 

I know, I know, I’m sorry for grouping these huge categories together! Here’s a speed round for two genres that aren’t as frequently seen in K-pop but make the occasional appearance. 

If you love jazz, check out MAMAMOO and some of their snazzy older releases, including “Mr-Ambiguous” and “Piano Man”. 

Last, my main man Taemin (also part of the boy group SHINee) has songs that blend classical influences with typical pop and electronic elements. Two fantastic pieces that come to mind are “IDEA (理想)” and “Advice”. 

And with that, my long list of recommendations comes to a close. I hope you’ve found some new music you’ve begun to love, and maybe, it’ll start you on the K-pop pipeline. 

Natasha Shantz

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi! My name is Natasha and I'm a writer for Her Campus Laurier. Writing had been a home for me since I was in elementary school, typing up fantasy and fairytale novels. I like to write about a broad variety of topics, such as self-improvement, social issues, literature and pop culture. When I'm not writing or studying, you can find me dancing to music in my room, sipping coffee in a cafe, or reading a book.