Things You Need to Consider When Living in a Basement

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Living in a basement can be a challenge. There are many things I did not anticipate from my basement living. My mood shifted, my sleeping patterns changed, and I couldn’t figure out why. If you haven’t lived in a basement before, it is a wake-up call. But let’s be honest, the rent is cheaper and at times, it is unavoidable. I’ve had at least ten years of experience living in a basement and I have learned a thing or two to make it easier.

Lighting

Sunlight is so important, as it helps to regulate your internal clock. When I shifted to living in a basement, the one thing I did not realize was how badly it would affect my sleep. Given I was not a morning person to begin with, this made it so much worse. There was no sunlight to wake me up in the morning and no sunset to help kick start my melatonin production. My body had no idea how to regulate itself. I have found that lighting is so important in these situations. Owning a sunlamp that wakes you up by turning on has been a game changer to combat this. I have also invested in some IKEA smart lights which automatically turn on in the morning. Both of these items have changed my sleeping patterns in ways I could never imagine. They regulated my body and made me infinitely less grumpy.

Air Quality

The air quality in a basement can be lackluster. There can be mold, it can be musty and it can make allergies act up if you have them. It’s something to keep in mind and monitor while you live there. If you find that it’s a problem for you, look into getting a humidifier or an air filter to help reduce the aggravation. I find that during the winter months, it can get annoyingly dry as well, especially with a heater on. A great at-home solution is to leave cups of water out so that they can evaporate. It’s not the best solution, but it’s a good trick if you’re on a budget.

Heat

This is something I recommend getting if you are a person who runs cold. In the winter in Canada, it can be freezing and basements are so much colder than the rest of the house. If the thermostat is set for the whole house, you will be in a constant battle with whoever you’re living with over the heat. The best thing is to get a heater for your space so that you don’t freeze.

All in all, living in a basement is not the worst. There are a lot of benefits like more space and cheaper rent. Given things were a lot easier when you weren’t stuck in your house all time, basements can still be a great place to live.

Adrianna Pater

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Adrianna - 4th year Film and Management student at Wilfrid Laurier University. You will probably find me at the library. Instagram @AddiePater
Chelsea Bradley

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Chelsea finished her undergrad with a double major in Biology and Psychology and a minor in Criminology. She loves dogs way too much and has an unhealthy obsession with notebooks and sushi. You can find her quoting memes and listening to throwbacks in her spare - okay basically all - her time. She joined Her Campus in the Fall of 2019 as an editor, acted as one of two senior editors for the Winter 2020 semester and worked alongside Rebecca as one of the Campus Correspondents for the 2020-2021 year!