This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

When people make lists of things to do in their free time, they often involve social activities. While there’s nothing wrong with going out with friends, it can be draining for introverts. This list of activities can be done alone in your free time or simply when you need to recharge.

1. Reading

Curling up under a blanket with a good book and your drink of choice is always a go-to activity. Whether it’s Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover or Spare by Prince Charles, reading is a good way to relax, recharge and spend a Friday night.

2. Learn something new

Learning about a new conspiracy theory or a new baking recipe is always a fun thing to do when you need to relax. Learning something because you are interested in it is a lot more fun then learning something for your midterm next week.

3. Baking

Throwing on Harry Styles’ latest album and dancing around the kitchen while baking your favourite comfort treat is fun and relaxing. If learning new recipes isn’t your thing, you can bake something you love that you’ve made countless times. P.S. If gift-giving is your love language, baking for your roommates can get you recharged for the week ahead.

4. Book browsing

Something I personally enjoy is going to a bookstore or library with earbuds and coffee in hand. Browsing for new book titles is always enjoyable as you can find so many titles you’ve never heard of. Once you find a title that piques your interest, you can curl up under a blanket with your new read.

5. Write a book

If you’re in need of a hobby, writing a book is relaxing, individual and it sparks creativity. If writing stories aren’t your thing, you can journal, write poetry or even write your autobiography. The thing with writing, especially for yourself, is that there are no time restraints. You get to create your own world and it’s a solitary activity.

6. Watch a movie or show

The worst thing about watching a TV show with someone else is trying to coordinate schedules. Or even worse you could watch a show with someone who talks the entire time. The good thing is that this can be avoided! Starting a new show or simply rewatching your comfort show after a long week is relaxing and a fun way to recharge.

7. Nature walks

Spending time in nature is recharging for just about anyone and introverts are no different. You can listen to the sounds of nature or have headphones in. Listening to your favourite playlist, a new podcast or a book are all fun things to add to your walk. However, when walking alone with headphones in, make sure you can still hear your surroundings.

8. Art

Whether you enjoy making art, singing at the top of your lungs or dancing in your room, creating art is another solitary activity that is fun and relaxing. Making art is a great creative outlet that helps destress and recharge.

This list is intended to provide ideas to introverts on activities to do alone but they don’t have to be solitary activities. For the extroverts out there, almost all these activities can be modified to do with others.

Véronique Perrault

Wilfrid Laurier '25

Hi! I'm Véronique and I'm a writer for Her Campus Laurier. I like to write about a lot of different things so, stay tuned! When I'm not swamped with studying, I love curling up with a good book, playing with my dog and doing puzzles.