The Tortured Poets Department (From a Swiftie’s POV)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Taylor Swift has done it again, last Sunday night at the 66th Annual Grammy Awards, she won her 13th Grammy in the Best Pop Vocal album category for her 10th studio album–Midnights. With this win, she blew us all out of the water and announced a brand-new album, The Tortured Poets Department (that she says she has been hiding from us for the past two years) which comes out April 19th. While I and thousands of other Swifties were anticipating a reputation (Taylor’s Version) announcement, I’m even more excited for 17 brand-new songs from Taylor. To hone in on the Grammys for a second, Taylor won her 13th Grammy award that night and a 14th while making history of being the first artist to ever win Album of the Year four times–in her case with Fearless, 1989, folklore and now Midnights.

Let’s get into the new album. Currently, Taylor is continuing her international Eras tour leg in Tokyo where she shared she’s been working on TTPD since completing Midnights and she’d been recording it during the US leg of tour all throughout 2023. Does she ever rest? I honestly don’t think so. After Taylor’s reveal of the new track list, I’m ready to say good riddance to Joe Alwyn. We went from having a song called London Boy on Lover back in 2019 to a now announced upcoming track five (which Swifties know are always the most vulnerable and honest on the album) titled So Long, London. I can admit my reaction to this was slightly unhinged and probably not normal but how can it be?

Some more upcoming tracks include Fortnight (feat. Post Malone)–not like the game, apparently this is what the Brits call two weeks. Sorry Joe. Another is Florida!!! (feat. Florence and the Machine) which Swifties believe will reference Taylor’s Florida Eras tour show that took place following the breakup announcement last spring. Some of my other favourite titles I’m excited about are I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can), But Daddy I Love Him, loml, Down Bad, Fresh Out The Slammer and The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived. Yes, I did just list six songs but what can I say, I can’t get enough of Taylor.

Lots of rumours of synth-pop are floating around the internet of what genre of music TTPD is going to be, and while this would be iconic as always, I’d love for this to follow folklore and evermore in their folk ways. I’m confident this is going to be a body of work made alongside Jack Antonoff (whom I love dearly) but I’d love to hear some more Aaron Dessner. Also, with Taylor’s track record of female features on songs, I’m really hoping that she gives space for Florence to sing her heart out. I’ll truly be happy with anything, though.

Annabelle Ly

Wilfrid Laurier '27

I'm Annabelle and I am part of this years Writing team with Her Campus at Laurier! I have always had a passion for reading and writing and when finding out about this club, I instantly knew I wanted to join the team. Aside of HC, I am in school for Laurier's International Education Studies program with hopes of continuing down the path of teaching! In my free time, I enjoy listening to music – especially Taylor Swift, playing the piano or guitar, crocheting, and reading! Otherwise you could often find me watching Gilmore Girls or Criminal Minds.