Ten Things You’ll Relate to If You Were a Hardcore High School Musical Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock since 2006, you’re probably at least somewhat familiar with High School Musical, the Disney Channel Original Movie that defined a generation and catapulted Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens to fame. For me, my relationship with the movies began back at my seventh birthday party, when I received High School Musical as a gift and was instantly hooked.

After talking to others, I now know that my bond with the movies is not unique. High School Musical was a defining moment in many childhoods; regardless if you were a super fan or a more casual observer, these are some universal experiences you’ll definitely relate to.

1. You knew all the songs (and dances!)

Whether you could bop to the top or stick to the status quo, High School Musical was full of iconic songs (and you’d be lying if you said you didn’t still know all the words to “Start of Something New”).

2. You knew tons of trivia about the movies

I still can’t sit through the opening scene of the first movie without informing people that, since it was filmed in August, the “snow” was actually potato flakes!

3. You had a lot of High School Musical clothing … 

T-shirts, hats, jeans, socks, pyjamas — you name it, I had it!

4. And High School Musical décor …

I fondly remember my High School Musical bedding, with a giant picture of Zac Efron on the pillow.

5. And probably a geeky poster 

Whether you were a Zac Efron or Vanessa Hudgens kind of person, there was definitely a giant poster of your fave up on your bedroom wall at some point.

6. You cried when Zanessa broke up 

Your favourite movie couple being a real-life couple was the best thing that ever happened to you, so when they split it felt like your preteen heart had shattered.7. You saw High School Musical 3 in theatres

High School Musical 3 holds the honour of being the first Disney Channel Original Movie to premiere in theatres, so of course you had to be there to watch your faves on the big screen.

8. You dressed up as a High School Musical character for Halloween  

Whether you went as a cheerleader or a basketball player, chances are you spent at least one Halloween night trudging around in the cold (because Canada) in Wildcats colours.

9. You had all the extended editions, and watched all the deleted scenes 

Can you even call yourself a fan if you haven’t seen the masterpiece that is Humu Humu?

10. And finally, you know you’re never too old for a High School Musical rewatch

Because once a wildcat, always a wildcat, am I right?

Nicole Persaud

Wilfrid Laurier '21

Nicole is a 4th Year BBA student double minoring in Medieval & Medievalism Studies and Political Science. You can find her ignoring her readings, hanging out with her dogs, and planning her next Disney vacation. 
Madeline McInnis

Wilfrid Laurier '19

Madeline graduated from the BA+MA program at Wilfrid Laurier University in 2020. In her undergraduate degree, she majored in Film Studies and History with a specialization in film theory. She later completed her Master's of English degree, where she wrote her thesis on the construction of historical memory and realism in war films. If you're looking for a recommendation for a fountain pen or dotted notebook, she should be your first line of contact.