Take a Break with Some of Saturday Night Live’s Funniest Sketches

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Well, you made it through the first month of 2017, and the semester is getting heavy. Sometimes things can get a bit stressful, so reward all of your hard work with a quick chuckle break. Enjoy a few of Saturday Night Live’s comedic sketches that’ll make you forget about that midterm coming up!

CLOSE ENCOUNTER

This sketch has gotten famous for its outrageous storyline and Ryan Gosling, along with the other stars breaking a number of times. Kate McKinnon is particularly hysterical in this sketch, portraying a woman post-alien abduction. MORE COWBELL

This is one of SNL’s more well-known sketches. If you’ve heard anything from Saturday Night Live, you’ve heard “More Cowbell”, and trust me, it’ll have you asking for more cowbell, too!

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE SHOW WITH ELIZABETH BANKS

Okay, so this one is a treat. It’s a parody of an abstract theatre show put on by high school students, intended to be a social commentary – that is just a tad tone deaf.

WEDDING

Imagine what would happen if Andrew Garfield showed up to your wedding asking you run away with him! Would you do it? Check out this skit. 

SLUMBER PARTY

This one is one of my personal favourites. Aidy Bryant’s portrayal of a supposed 13-year-old getting the hots for her friend’s dad is insanely funny, and to top it off, Aidy Bryant said in an interview with Seth Myers that the sketch was inspired by her reaction to meeting Drake for the first time. Honestly, can you blame her? Dad Drake can get it AND his dancing …

I mean c’mon.

KISSING FAMILY WITH ANDY SAMBERG

Meeting your S.O’s family is always uncomfortable, but hopefully never this uncomfortable!

DEBBIE DOWNER AT DISNEY LAND

An oldie but a goody. This Debbie Downer sketch has everyone, even the cast, in stiches!

MEET YOUR SECOND WIFE

The dynamic duo, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, comment on the common age differences between men and women in this game-show parody sketch called “Meet Your Second Wife”.

BLACK JEOPARDY WITH DRAKE

If you’re Canadian, you can laugh at this one. Watch Drake make fun of Canadians while playing Black Jeopardy!

Okay, now that you’ve enjoyed a break and laughed a little, get back to work and rock that midterm!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.