sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Surviving Valentine’s Day: The Single Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Whether you are new to the single Valentine’s Day world or an experienced veteran, it’s always difficult to figure out things do when you’re dateless on a day specifically made to celebrate love. So love yourself this Valentine’s Day, and try these ideas!

1. Throw a Party

In general, there are two common types of Valentine’s party: the celebratory kind, and the anti-Valentines/ I hate love/ wear black to mourn love life type of party. Whatever you decide, enjoy the time with your friends have a great night. Whatever your party theme, break out the karaoke and sing your emotions away.

2. Have a Girls Night In

Got a group of single girls without plans on Valentine’s? OF COURSE YOU DO. Pick out a few movies (rom-coms encouraged) and crack open a bottle of wine and you’re set for the night. Another great suggestion is to incorporate a Secret Cupid gift swap (Secret-Santa style) and exchange adorable Valentine’s gifts with your girls. Want to get extra festive? I suggest a Valentine’s themed potluck complete with heart shaped cookies, red velvet cupcakes, and festive cocktails. If you need more ideas, check out our pinterest for some awesome treats and recipes.

3. Have a Girls Night Out

Valentine’s shouldn’t be reserved for romantic dates only, because there are tons of different options for going out. Find a bar or club that isn’t having Valentine’s seatings, and I’m sure you’ll run into a whole crowd of other people that are celebrating their single life. Other ideas include going bowling, hitting up a comedy show, finding an interesting group class (hot yoga or dance anyone?), or leaving it up to the group to find something fun to do!

4. Share Your Love

As superficial as Valentine’s may be, it’s a great time to think about what you love, who you love, and those who aren’t as fortunate to receive the same love that you do. Find a way to give back to your community by sharing your love and doing something that interests you. Spend the day, or even a few hours, volunteering to serve meals to homeless people in your area, volunteer at your local animal shelter, visit a nearby nursing home or hospital; the opportunities are endless. Whatever way you can share your love, I strongly encourage you to get out there and share it. 

5. Love Yourself

Who loves you more than you love you? NOBODY. You are an awesome person. You deserve some love. Treat yourself to something special on Valentine’s Day and give yourself some time to appreciate yourself. 

Remember that Valentine’s Day is only one day of the year, so there’s no reason to waste it just because you don’t have a date. Scratch that, you have a date, in fact, you have the best looking date in the whole world, and you have her 365 days a year: YOU! Happy Valetintine’s!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.
Emily Webster

Wilfrid Laurier

You will typically see me with a large cup of tea and browsing social media under the fairy lights and reading up on my favourite lady bosses (Mindy Kaling let me be you please). Also my trivia regarding superheroes is endless. I have more music than time to listen to and someone definitely should consider taking away my blogging privileges. My love for pop culture is limitless and Netflix is the true MVP in my opinion. Contributor writer for HerCampus Laurier Stalk me and let's be friends here: Insta & Twitter: webofem