This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Everyone can say that they have put off studying or doing an assignment at least once. But for some people, procrastinating is a bad habit which leads to starting things last minute and stressful situations. Here are some tips that I use to stop procrastinating and stay focused to complete things on time!

Turn your phone off

It is easy to become distracted with your phone sitting directly beside you or on your desk, especially if your notifications are on. Keeping your phone on silent can help the immediate impulse to pick up your phone and check your messages. If you are still tempted to check your phone, turn it off completely and put it in another room or leave it at home so you are less compelled to check it. Sometimes, I even give my phone to a friend or my mom to hold onto until I’m done my work. Eliminating distractions, such as social media, is a good way to avoid procrastinating and stay focused.

Get a good night’s sleep

I have a habit of putting off work to take a nap because I didn’t get a good night’s sleep the night before. Getting a good rest will help you stay focused and keep you from dozing off while working.

Eat before

I often sit down to study and then realize I’m hungry and can’t concentrate on my school work. Eating before doing work makes it less likely that I will get up in the middle of my study session to get a snack, and helps ensure that I can stay focused on my work, NOT on the growling of my stomach.

Background music

I find it difficult to do work in dead silence, so I like to put music on in the background. Classical music or music without lyrics is great because the words don’t distract you from the words you might be reading or memorizing. Alternatively, sometimes I put the TV on the background (something not too interesting or I’ll get distracted). This tip might not work for everyone, but I find it helps with the boredom aspect of studying.

Location

Finding a good work spot is crucial to staying focused. For some, a quiet spot away from distractions, like the library, works best. For others, it may be a study spot on campus. Being in an environment which is tailored to your personal study needs is crucial for getting work done.

Alerts/Alarms

I put alarms on my phone and dates in my phone calendar that notify me before things are due. The alarms not only remind me of due dates but are REALLY annoying and therefore motivate me to just do my work and get it done.

Hopefully some of these tips will help you get through midterm season and through exams at the end of the semester. Good luck!

Jenna Steadman

Wilfrid Laurier

4th year Psychology major at Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo ON.