bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Staying Safe on St. Patrick’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wilfrid Laurier chapter.

Every Laurier student’s favourite day of the year is rapidly coming! The countdown is on for St. Patrick’s Day, a fact that university faculty are well aware of. In case you haven’t been checking your Laurier emails, we’re already being hit with their discouraging messages towards the celebrations that are likely to occur. Whether you personally take those emails seriously or not, they do bring up an important topic — student safety. St. Paddy’s can be a lot of fun, but it can also take a turn for the worst, especially if you aren’t prepared. If you plan on partaking in the festivities, take a look at these tips for having a safe St. Patrick’s Day!

Keep ID on you

With the increased police presence in the area, it’ll be important to have a form of identification on you. And, if you plan on getting into any buildings on-campus, make sure you have your OneCard!

Editor’s note: The library will be closed and academic buildings on campus locked, so stay at home if you’re planning to study!

Have pictures of your ID accessible

Having your ID on you is ideal, but if it gets lost in the festivities of the day, hopefully you’ll be prepared with backup. Take pictures of your ID, especially your health card! If your day ends with you in the hospital, you’ll be glad you took this extra step. If you want to go even further, you could email yourself that picture, so you can access it even if your phone dies or gets lost too!

Communicate with your friends

Making sure you have a solid game plan set in place is key to a safe and enjoyable St. Paddy’s. Decide on a central meeting spot in case anyone gets lost, and let them know how you’re feeling throughout the day. If you’re splitting up for a while, figure out where and when you’ll be reuniting before you go. It can be a long day and dead phones are almost inevitable!

Schedule time to eat

St. Paddy’s is a lot to handle on its own, but add hunger to the mix? No, thank you! When deciding on your plans for the day, make sure to fit a meal or two into the itinerary. You’ll have more energy and will be feeling much better than if you try to ignore your hunger — trust me!

Pay attention to your consumption

Whatever you choose to indulge in on St. Patrick’s Day, make sure to keep track! It’s a lot easier to know when it’s time to slow down for a bit if you know what you’ve already had. Beyond that, check in with your friends to see how they are doing and to fill them in on where you’re at.

Learn some basic “Party First Aid”

In an ideal world, you won’t be needing to use this, but should any of your friends get themselves into a bad situation, knowing how to take care of them will come in handy. Look out for signs of alcohol poisoning, like vomiting and irregular breathing. If they are unconscious, make sure to prop them on their side to prevent choking. And, if you think they are at risk of injury, err on the side of caution and seek medical help.

Utilize these tips to stay safe and celebrate responsibly this St. Paddy’s Day!

Rebecca is in her 5th year at Wilfrid Laurier University.  During the school year, she can be found drinking copious amounts of kombucha, watching hockey and procrastinating on Pinterest. She joined HCWLU as an editor in the Winter 2018 semester, and after serving as one of the Campus Correspondents in 2019-20, she is excited to be returning for the 2020-21 school year! she/her
Andreia McLean

Wilfrid Laurier